Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Patch 107 today

Medic7922

Congratulations to Harry Patch who turned 107 young today, as most of you know Harry is on of the last survivors ot the Great War and lives in Somerset,

It was noted on the local news that he received hes 7th Birthday card from the Queen

I will raise a glass to him tonight,

Happy Bithday, Harry!

:D

PAUL J

Harry Patch always seems to be the gentlest of men....I wonder what he was like with a rifle in his hands.

Happy birthday Harry, and good health.

Andy

And many many more!!

I remember Harry recounting a tale where he had a German soldier in his sights but chose to shoot him in the legs rather than kill him.

A kind and compassionate man, happy birthday Harry.

Rich.

I've a glass of malt in front of me right now. Good health Harry.

Roy

There is only really one drink to toast Harry with:

post-6536-1119039262.jpg

Made last year as a tribute and only 106 bottles brewed.

Oh, well. I'll make do with a pint of Bombardier. :)

Cheers, Harry.

Steve.

This is the story of the German as recounted by Harry in 2001.

"We got to the second line and four Germans stood up. They didn't get up to run away, they got up to fight. One of them came towards us and spotted that we were machine gunners. He couldn't have had any ammunition or he would have shot us, but came towards us with fixed bayonet instead. My right hand was free, I pulled my revolver out and shot him in the shoulder - I was a crack shot.

"He dropped his rifle and he came over with the intention of, I suppose, kicking us. If he kicked the gun into the mud, it would have been useless. As he came towards us something came into my mind. I thought, when I joined the army they made me take an oath - to serve my king and country. But when Moses came down off Mount Sinai he brought down the commandment'Thou shalt do no murder'. That German coming towards me, I thought why should I murder him? He may have a mother, he may have brothers and sisters, he may be married, bringing up a young family, I can't kill him. And I didn't kill him: I shot him above the ankle and above the knee, and brought him down. He said something to me in German - I don't expect it was complimentary - but for him the war was over. He would be picked up by British stretcher-bearers, interrogated, sent to a concentration camp, and at the end of the war he would rejoin his family." (The Guardian 8th Nov 2001).

Merry Birthday,Mr Patch.

Oh!,that i could do as much with my life,as you have done.

Drinking Cider(West Country,so it says),as we speak,and he don't have no bubbles.

God bless,and may you have many years to come,Sir.

All the best.

Simon.

I missed this last night but happy belated birthday harry,

hope to see you again in ypres.

Mandy

I missed this last night but happy belated birthday harry,

They showed an extended item on our local ITV news. I would have missed it too, because I wasn't really watching and I was reading a book.

But he has such a distinctive voice, remembered from his past documentary appearances, that I looked up.

Hello All

Only just seen this thread (been a bit busy at work recently, & neglected the Forum), so I would like to take this chance to wish Harry a very happy belated birthday.

Cheers

Mark

I had the privilege to meet Harry in Belgium a few years back. A very fine gentleman. He gave me a few lessons on how to use a Lewis gun. "Never fire a second load from the same place!" Harry has proven he is right, 107 years!

Congratulations

Niels