Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Memorial

Alan_J

A while back there were a couple of threads on the memorial being closed until around mid-June. I've just checked the CWGC website, and this still has news that it will be closed from around mid-May for 7 weeks.

I assume the work has not yet finished? Does anyone know the latest?

Thanks

Alan

Alan

I was over there at the end of April and the workmen were expecting to finish on time. They said that was 5 weeks then and I've heard nothing since to suggest they were late finishing. If you are thinking of visiting you can still get access even if they haven't finished the work. It just means you have to wait until 5 pm when they come down for the day.

Garth

I was there one week ago and the Memorial was fully open with no signs of any equipment, stored materials, barriers etc. (That's not to say that there's no other phase of cleaning due to start, though.) Maybe Pals who have visited even more recently will be able to give us the latest.

Tom

Thanks Tom and Garth,

I'd have thought the CWGC would have updated their website, but as I recall it took them a little while to post news on the closure in the first place.

Alan

Hi,

I was there Tuesday 14 June and it was fully open.  No sign of any work.

Ian.

Thnaks - sounds like it's open again then.

Alan

Was there this week and it is all back to normal now; I was going to post this on the forum, but have been away from the PC to do it!