Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Prideaux-Brune RFC?

stevenbecker

Mates,

Can you confirm if this officer served in the RFC during the War?

Capt Fulke Knatchbull Prideaux-Brune.

He transfered from the AIF in Nov 1916 and gained anappointment to the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons but after that its not known.

A note in his records claim to have having gained his apointment to the British Army it was to join the RFC which he had tried to do via the AIF but failed.

Does he get any mentions in the records you have?

Cheers

S.B

Family still exists I have heard of someone with that name in Oxfordshire I think- not the sort of name you forget. Sorry no further details

Greg

Mates,

Can you confirm if this officer served in the RFC during the War?

Capt Fulke Knatchbull Prideaux-Brune.

He transfered from the AIF in Nov 1916 and gained anappointment to the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons but after that its not known.

A note in his records claim to have having gained his apointment to the British Army it was to join the RFC which he had tried to do via the AIF but failed.

Does he get any mentions in the records you have?

Cheers

S.B

G'day Steve,

I have checked my listing of Aussies in the RFC/RAF and I dont have Fulke Knatchbull Prideaux-Brune listed. I have over 560 names but that doesn't rule him out though as my main focus has been the RNAS.

Regards,

Andrew.

G'day again Steve,

I have just checked the AWM Red Cross files for wounded and missing and

Fulke Knatchbull Prideaux-Brune was a POW in 1918 and is still listed as serving with the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons. The only two questions remaining are how and when was he captured.

Andrew.

Thanks Mate,

His AIF service record dosn't paint a nice piture of this officer and his failing to get into the RFC vai that means shows the lack of endorsment by AIF officers.

But weather the bar was a little lower in the British Army late in the war (as we know it was in both Armies) then he may have got his foot in the door.

Thanks for the bit on him being a POW its another area I didn't think about since he wasn't the type of officer to get close to the front.

I did notice an officer by that name but a LtCol with the 8th Bn Rifle Brigade in a book of the 5th Army by Walter Sparrow during March 1918.

Cheers

S.B

• 1 year later...

Hi Steve,

When Lt. F K Prideaux-Brune resigned from ALH, he was expected to join the Flying Corps, as suggested by his record. However, he ended up in the RDG, as per the thread under his name. Why this change came about, I have no idea. Maybe it was a desire he expressed that just never materialised.

Thanks Mate,

I surpose your right, I believe with his family conections he could go anywhere and do anything as befitting an English Gentleman of the area.

But some times it takes talent and skills. I am surprised he didn't find that out when he moved to Australia?

His records show he was in and out of almost all the jobs he ever did, and never settled on any. Just finding his nitch in life.

But my main area of interest is his service in the Composite LHR between Dec 1915 and March 1916 when he commanded B Sqn Comp LHR.

Also any details of his service with the 6 RDG.

Cheers

S.B