Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancre Cem clarification

Desmond7

For purposes of orientation ...

Can someone tell me how the Ancre Cem. relates to the British and German lines on 1st July 1916?

Was it roughly just forward of British lines

Was it in middle of NML?

Thanks in advance.

Des

Des - going from memory as I can't check at the moment, but I'm fairly sure that the position in which the cemetery was later constructed was in the middle of No-Man's Land on 1st July, 1916.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

Met POW Greer's daughter yesterday ... see your site for the man.

Gave me a good clear picture of him.

Unfortunately/fortunately she has now thrown up a further mystery! According to her late Aunt, her father HAD been 12th RI Rifles (and his number confirms it) but somehow ended up in the 11th Btn!

If this proves to be the case, Greer would have been captured on opposite bank of river where the other two btns. of 108 Brigade attacked. Which, when you think about it, would make more sense ...

12th R I Rifles were repulsed after a quick sally into the German saps and part of front line and few, I believe, were captured. On the other hand, 11th Btn did manage a fair penetration on the other side of the Ancre before the Germans counter-attacked and cut off sections of the Brigade. And, given the 'dug-out story' he tells, it may prove to be the more likely scenario.

Oh well, back for another trawl of the papers to see what's been overlooked.

Ho hum.

Yes, the cemetery is located in the gully marked on all trench maps, which was between the two lines on 1st July 1916.