Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war diaries

bernardmcilwaine

when you want a particular diary to view on line,does it only give you the year that you request or can you view it all,bernard

Me again!

The Online Diaries are organised by month. You only get one month for your £3.50, be it one page or fifty. You can of course download them all for £3.50 x 12 x 4 and a bit years = Ouch! or £200.

I suppose it is cheaper than paying for copy charges at the NA, though.

Unfortunately (unlike the Canadian ones) you have to pay your money for the download, so it's probably most cost effective if you're just looking at one date.

That and the fact that only a tiny % of them are online yet, makes it a bit of a bind.

Steve.

thanks steve,thats buggered up my next question,i noticed that a lot of members were talking about buying war diaries and the price of them,thought it might have been cheaper to download em,i suppose you could always sell the house,bernard

Hi,

The price must have gone up drastically recently. I ordered a war diary and it covered all of 1917 and 1918, right up to May 1919. And all it cost me was 44pounds. I got a copy of the receipt to recheck what I paid. This was in December 2004, just 6 months ago. So they must have hiked the prices up some what !! :o

cheers Aaron.

I think ordering by post has been a little different. You get what they feel they can copy in an allotted timespan, they give you and estimate and then copy what they have. Which probably works out cheaper than downloading the things.

The way things are going, it looks like the plan is to digitise them all. Whether this will mean that we can't look at the originals in the future is open for debate...

Steve.

Steve,

I might be wrong but I think you can no longer view the real diaries at Kew if they have been digitised.

I remember trying to look a Guards diary and it happened to be digitised. I could not order it for the reading room, it was only available to view online.

This might have been down to my ineptitude of using the system or because the diary was a guards diary and in great demand so they restrict access to the real thing now.

As the Diaries go on line I do not expect we will be able to view the real thing. Just my expectation though. get in there now while we can :)

L.

I'm probably wrong (again) but I thought I saw here a few days ago that the Guards diaries were not at Kew, and that the Guards Museum (or whoever holds them) was being asked to move them to the NA instead of the Museum.

Someone like Coldstreamer would know for sure.

Steve.

Not sure on that one. They are definately on the PRO search at Kew. Very interesting Mr Bond...

L.

Hello

The diaries of the Coldstream Gds WW1 are at the NA as far as I know (saw them a month or so ago)- but I have the 1, 2 and 3 Btns diarys on my PC if any one wants a look up - not complete though as not all pages got scanned for some bizarre reason. The 4th Btn has not been done which is a shame as its my "favourite" Battalion.

If you want to look at the originals that are digitized then you need to order them in a differant way or you get redirect to the scanned version. I couldnt work out how to do this so got one of the staff to do it for me.

Ian