Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt C. V. N. Vine

Andrew Marshall

Hi All

Can anyone provide any further information on the 4th Bn. Seaforth Highllanders on 8th May 1915 at Aubers Ridge or 6th Bn. D.C.L.I. on 18th August 1916 on the Somme?

I have been reaserching 2nd Lt. Christopher Vincent Nithsdale Vine and here is what I have so far.

2nd Lt. Christopher Vincent Nithsdale Vine

Home address 6, Bronte Villas, Gravesend – this was a private school in Gravesend.

The son of Mr and Mrs Vine who started the school was 2nd Lieutenant Christopher Vincent Nithsdale Vine who was killed in action on the 18th August 1916 serving with “B” Company, 6th Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry aged 21 years. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing and his inscription is on Pier and Face 6 B.

He originally enlisted as a Private 2568 in the 4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders on 8th January 1915 and his date of birth is shown as 14th June 1895 with his home address as 6, Bronte Villas, Gravesend. The Vicar of Christ Church, Rev. C. E. Marsh and the former Headmaster of Gravesend Grammar School, John F. Wilkinson commended him for a good moral character and education.

Christopher Vine had enlisted with another Gravesender Donald Gibson into the 4th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders and together they were sent for training in Bedford where they made pals with another two men and together they all set off for war on the Western Front on 17th March 1915.

It wasn't long before their baptism of fire and they were soon in the thick of the fighting. On the 8th May 1915 the 4th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders were part of the attacking force in the Battle of Aubers Ridge, where it had become apparent that the Ministry for War had woefully under estimated the need for artillery shells and the British Expeditionary Force had virtually exhausted its supply of shells and therefore could provide only an extremely poor cover of artillery fire for the attack.

In a letter dated 11th May Private Vine writes home to his mother:

My Dearest Mother

I have most awful news to tell you which please break gently to Mrs Gibson. Poor Donald was killed on Sunday at least there is the very slight hope of his being wounded but I am afraid the chance is very small.

Bailey who was in my Company was wounded twice and Wheeler also the other chap who was billeted with us at Bedford is I am afraid the same as Gibson I alone out of the four of us came out untouched.

It was like this, we were ordered to charge the German trenches, so up and out of the trench we went and were met with a murderous fire and that is how all our poor chaps got hit, we could not reach the German trenches and were told to come back but that was impossible and from 6.30 to 2.00 in the afternoon we lay between the two trenches.

I can't write anymore now I think as I have no positive proof of Gibson's death you had better hold out hope and say you think that he is wounded.

With much love to all

Chris.

Lance Corporal 2567 (Arthur William) Donald Gibson of the 4th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders was killed in action on 9th May 1915 and is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, panel 38 and 39. He was 20 years old at the time and the son of Captain and Mrs Arthur Gibson of "Rose Bank", Parrock Road, Gravesend.

The other one killed from the four who originally went overseas was Private 2531 Gerald Mardon Wheeler of the 4th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders killed in action on the 9th May 1915 aged 18 years.

Pte. Christopher Vine who was commissioned in the field on 30th May 1915 to 2nd Lt. in the 9th Service Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry where he was sent to Oxford University O.T.C. for training. On the 10th June 1915 Christopher's name appears in the London Gazette to show his commission to 2nd Lt.

On 24th May 1916 the now 2nd Lt. Vine left again for the Western Front to join the 6th Bn. D.C.L.I. where he joined "B" Company, commanded by Captain G. W. Forty. This Battalion was part of the 43rd Brigade, 14th (Light) Division.

2nd Lt. Christopher Vine was killed in action on 18th August 1916 on the same day from his Battalion the casualties were seven officers killed in action and one hundred and five other ranks.

Letters home to his family from other officers:

Lieutenant-Colonel Stokoe, in command of the D.C.L.I. wrote to Mr Vine on 21st August 1916 as follows:

Dear Sir, I write to tell you how grieved we all are at the loss of your brave boy. He was killed charging the German trenches. He was a very promising officer and a great loss to me. We had terrible casualties that day. Please excuse short note but have so many to write. With sincerest sympathy.

G. W. Forty, Captain commanding "B" Company 6th Bn. D.C.L.I., wrote on 22nd August 1916.

Dear Sir, I very much regret having to tell you of the death of your son. He came to my company when he joined and we had been continuously together ever since. We are all much attached to him in the mess and his fearlessness had made him a great favourite with the men. On the 18th he led them very gallantly and was wounded and carrying on when hit. I have lost a good officer and good friend. With deepest sympathy to you all.

Rev. R. S. Shipwell, Church of England Chaplain to the Forces writes:

43rd Infantry Brigade, B.E.F. France 21st August 1916.

My Dear Sir, It is with deep regret that I inform you that your son, 2nd Lieut. C. N. Vine of the D.C.L.I. was killed in action on the 18th inst. He fell with many of his comrades in an assault upon one of the strongest German positions. For you that remain to mourn his loss the sorrow of separation must be great. When the bitterness is past the remembrance of his heroic death will be a glad remembrance. May God himself comfort all the bereaved at this time.

I will attach a photograph of 2nd Lt Vine and then post another of L/Cpl Gibson

Regards

Andrew

post-385-1118957364.jpg

Here is a scan of the original pencil written letter home from Pte. Vine of the 4th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders after the battle of Aubers Ridge.

post-385-1118958475.jpg