Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When did he enlist?

snailybailey

Hi, I am researching a 17 year old casualty. He was KIA on 15th September 1916 aged just 17 years and 3 months (his d.o.b. was 16th June 1899). I am interested to know what age he was when he enlisted? I guess that he would have gone through some training regime, how long would this have lasted? If it was more than three months then he would have been just 16 or younger on enlistment. Any info with regard to timescales for enlisment, training, disembarkation etc. would be welcome.

Cheers

Glyn

Glyn

Depends when he went overseas. The original service battalions which went out at the end of 1915 had been in training for about a year. In the case of the Manchesters, for example, the "next batch" who were the immediate replacements after 1 July 1916 had also been intraining for a goodly number of months. If your lad was in what might be termed the "third batch" and, perhaps, had only been at the front a matter of days, then training may well have down to as little as three months.

In any event, he either lied about his age and/or no-one was much fussed about it.

John

It would help to have a Service Number,or @ least the number range,this often points to an enlistment date,some youngsters were serving in their Battalions from 1915,I have the awards of @ least three such Lads who were well under the minimum O/S service age when they went to France & earned their 1914~15 Stars!,their enlistment Dates were all around September~November 1914

Thanks for the info.

The soldiers details are as below:

Pte. 19414 Cecil Jones

2nd Bttn Wiltshire Regiment

D.O.W. France & Flanders 15.09.16 Aged 17

Does this mean he would have been 16 on enlistment (or even younger)?

I have his MIC but this does not have his date of entry into the theatre of war on it. He was entitled to the BWM and Victory only.

Hope this helps!!!

Any info gratefully received

:D