Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th London battalion

watchman

Hi

2/6th history shows that on"9th May 1918 the 2/6th sent 18 officers and 746 other ranks to variuos regiments....".

I know from service papers that PTE FG Smith served with the 7th London and the 100th Prov Bath and Cambridge.

Can somebody who has a copy of 7th london war dairys could they tell me if there is a note of them recieving a draft of men from 2/6th South Staffs on or around 9th May 1918??

And if poss where were the 7th London at this date??

Thanking you in advance

Andrew

Not much help, but the 2/6th S Staffs were reduced to Training Cadre on 9.5.18, so that would account for the men being posted. The 7th Londons were in 58th Divn at the time, the 1/7th and 2/7th having been combined. Afraid I don't know where the 58th Div were then, though.

The 58th Battalion MGC diary for May,says that on the 6th of May,D Company reconnoitred the line,WARLOY-FRANVILLERS,embracing the Baiseux defences.

On the 8th,A and C companys were attached to 173rd and 174th Brigades for counter attack,in case of enemy attack,and the battalion was billeted at MOLLIENS AU BOIS.

On the 9th may,C company reconned the left Division Sector,BAISEUX system and valleys,in connection with the 174th Brigade group.

In a movement order for the 9th,it says that A and C companies will move to areas in the Valley EAST of BAVELINCOURT and MONTIGNY,and that their route would be,C company BEAUCOURT-BAVELINCOURT,A company,BEAUCOURT-BEHENCOURT.

Each company was to draw 20,000 rounds each.

The 7th Londons were with 174th Brigade,58th(2/1st)London Division at this time.

Other places mentioned at this time are BOURDON and MIRVAUX,and,to me,it sounds as if they were in the frontline when these men were transfered.

Hope this is of help.

All the best.

Simon.