Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on Vimy Ridge

I am spending a week around Vimy Ridge and I am looking for more information on Vimy Ridge. I am interested in events that took place in 1915/1916 as well as the 1917 attack. I have several books covering the Canadian attack but very little on earlier actions except for the Battleground Arras book.

In particular I am interested in information on trenches and identified mine craters and the actions related to them.

Can anybody suggest suitable books/information sources?

Thanks,

Bill

Vimy by Pierre Breton is an excellent book. It covers the Canadian actions in 1917 primarily. I would also search other threads, Vimy is often discussed on the Forum and I am sure there are some great books and references listed there.

Andy

There is a good selection in the following material:

Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War

- Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1919, Colonel G. W. L. Nicholson, C.D., Army Historical Section

This is the classic reference text [the Bible] for any student of the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the Great War. The original text is very difficult to obtain, however, the document is now available in .pdf format directly from the historical section of the Canadian Armed Forces website. [Note: The pagination in the online document is different than the original document - therefore citations with page number references cannot be used.]

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/downloads/O...ories/CEF_e.PDF

*The Great War: Vimy Ridge George Van Wyck Laughton, M.C.,

Canadian - Serving in the British 3rd Army, 34th Division, 26th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Irish)

Documents have now been posted that relate to research on the Great War as seen by 2nd Lt. George Van Wyck Laughton, M.C., primarily as it applies to the Battle of Arras. The website also has a very good set of URL links to many other interesting sites. In addition, you can access the complete text of Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1919, Colonel G. W. L. Nicholson, C.D., Army Historical Section including digital copies of the original colour maps.

http://www.censol.ca/research/greatwar/links.htm

*Percy Henry Forsey - A Soldier Of The Great War

The web site contains details of the fight for the "Quadrilateral" 9th Oct 1916 on the Somme just to the West of Le Sars and the Battle of Vimy Ridge from April 9th to 30th 1917. It features Percy Forsey killed at Vimy Ridge April 1917 and is built from the details found in the CEF war diaries. Developed and maintained by Brett Olive

http://uk.geocities.com/vimy_ridge@btinternet.com/

Will Bird's book, Ghosts have warm hands, is very good and gives a good insight into what it was like to be on the ridge with the canadians. I believe you can get a copy from the information centre on the ridge. Enjoy your trip, make sure you visit the museums at La Targette, Notre Dame de Lorette and the centre at Souchez which is at the foot of the hill leading to Notre Dame.