Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fougasses Mining Bridges at 2nd Ypres

Nathan Greenfield

According to A. F. Duguid, in the hours following the gas attack on Ypres on the 22nd of April, 1915, Canadian Engineers mined the bridges across the Yser with "fougasses." I googeled the word and found several sites that say that a fougasse is a landmine, or a serious of land mines, connected by black powder.

It seems unlikely that in 1915 the Canadians would mine bridges -- which, after all are over water -- with a device whose firing mechanism (the black powder connecting them) is likely not to work in humid/wet environments.

Dose anyone know if the explosive charges were connected, perhaps, by an electrical circuit?

Any other information will be most welcome.

Cheers,

Nathan

Nathan,

This posting won't answer your question. Just a few thoughts.

The Canadians cannot possibly have been at work at the Yser, for this is far much north (between Diksmuide and Nieuwpoort, Belgian coast), where they never were. Probably you source says "Yser Canal" (or Canal de l'Yser) ? This is the canal linking Ypres northward to the Yser (16 km). (Present name : Ieperleekanaal, or Kanaal Ieper - IJzer)

The correct name might be a detail, I know, but then somehow I find it hard to believe that Canadian units were at work at the Yser Canal. The military activity was approx. 4 - 5 km east of the southernmost stretch of the canal (i.e. the part between Ypres and south of Boezinge, the first village).

I know, this doesn't mean they cannot possibly have mined the bridges of the Yser Canal. Yet, I wonder : what bridges ? For the part of the Canal the Canadians were relativeley close to (as I said : 4 - 5 km) had no bridges. Certainly no pre-war 'civilian' or railroad bridges. Or maybe the bridges that are meant are the hastily constructed emergency bridges for infantry crossings ?

Sorry I am making your question even more mysterious ... B)

Aurel

A fougasse is a kind of improvised mine in which a funnel-shape hole is dug, a charge placed in the bottom then refilled with stones. The funnel is so shaped that when the charge is fired the stones are shot towards the advancing enemy (if you’ve seen the film Khartoum, they are what Charlton Heston, sorry C G Gordon, prepares to slow the Mahdist attack).

The History of the Corps of Canadian Engineers Vol 1 by Kerry & McDill states that the 2nd & 3rd Canadian Field Companies prepared three of the temporary bridges over the Yser Canal (correct Aurel!) for demolition. One of these was the barrel bridge several hundred yards in the French sector. Separate to this, ‘Fougasses were prepared on the road approaches to the barge bridge at the boundary and there the company entrenched itself with the infantry on the west bank’ (p90). Duguid seems to have confused the two.

These fougasses could have been made with either black powder or guncotton, the Field Company might have had both but I think guncotton was more likely. They would probably have used an electrical firing mechanism.

Regards

Simon

Simon:

Thanks for the technical information.

For what its worth, pag8 (April 22nd, 1915) the Confidential War Diary of the 1st Field Company Canadian Engineers reads in part:

"There were a number of bridges crossing the Yser Canal in close proximity to each other. It was decided that all of these bridges must be mined with explosives, so that in th even of a general retirement on the part of the allied forces, the bridges could be destroyed. Lieut. B.M May of the 1st FCCE, was selected to take in the first party. This he did, selecting his own section . . . . The party left camp at about midnite on the morning of the 23rd and marched about three and a half miles to the Yser Canal. The shell fire at this time was very sever and our party were forced to dig themselves in immediately."

When they got to the bridges, they found that they had already been mined by another Cnd Engineer crew.

The "Summary of work performed by the Divisional Engineers, 1st Canadian Division" reads in part:

"On this account [refers to the shelling of Wiltje C.20.c] the 2nd Field Co. CE was ordered to fall back to the YSER CANAL, to hold it as well as possilbe and to mine the temporary bridges, starting with No. 5. THe Divnd Engineer, HQ batmen and grooms and fatigue party fo the 1st Field Co. CE who were working at the Engr Park at the Canal were ordered out under Sgt Major Ridgewell, to prepare bridges nose "A".1 & 2 for demolition. All the bridges up to and including No. 5 were pepared for demolition by about 10:30 p.m. and the Engineers guards were placed at all the bridgeheads."

If we can trust Map 1 from Duguid "Ypres, 1915, Disposition and Moves 5 pm. - 7 p.m. 22nd April" the bridges called "A" 1 & 2 were a couple of hundred yards north of the point where the Yser cuts east to go around Ypres. Bridge 5 is about 2,000 yards north of that same point -- sugid puts it in the French sector by some 400 yards.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Nathan

If we can trust Map 1 from Duguid "Ypres, 1915, Disposition and Moves 5 pm. - 7 p.m.  22nd April" the bridges called "A" 1 & 2 were a couple of hundred yards north of the point where the Yser cuts east to go around Ypres.  Bridge 5 is about 2,000 yards north of that same point -- sugid puts it in the French sector by some 400 yards.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Nathan

Nathan,

Apart from the part "north of the point where the Yser [must be = Yser Canal, not the Yser, which is far more north] cuts east to go round Ypres", which I don't understand, as the canal begins north of Ypres, I can say that according to my measurements on a map I have (part of it below) Bridge 5 is 2100 m (2300 yds) north of the beginning of the canal (corresponding indeed to the about 2,000 yds you mention).

The map below (situation Sep-Dec 1915) also shows Bridge 4A, at about 875 m (956 yds) north of the beginning. Unfortunately I don't have the part more south (with bridges 1 and 2).

For those who know the area : the Cemetery to the left = Bard Cottage Cem., and the one at the bottom is Essex Farm Cem. (also John McCrae site)

Aurel

post-92-1118959629.jpg

Aurel:

Your map is much more detailed than the Duguid map or even the one that is in the British Offical History. Which map is it.

You were correct that when I wrote the "Yser," I meant the canal. But, I am confused about your confusion about the canal's sweep more or less east of Ypres.

On both the Duguid and the British map, if you move south on the Canal from Het Sas, you pass by the Steam Mill then passed N. Zwaanhof. Further south, towards Ypres are the bridges numbered 5, 4, 3A, 3, 2, 1 and 1a. Then there is a spur of the canal which goes straight passed the Bellewaardbeck. Off to the left (more or less going south east) is the main part of the Canal which swings around the furthest east point of Ypres and crosses the Ypres-Vlamertinge road (which, I assume has a bridge over the canal). The Canal then continues further south in a generally westerly direction.

Is this what your map says?

Cheers,

Nathan

Aurel:

1. Your map is much more detailed than the Duguid map or even the one that is in the British Offical History.  Which map is it.

2. I am confused about your confusion about the canal's sweep more or less east of Ypres.

On both the Duguid and the British map, if you move south on the Canal from Het Sas, you pass by the Steam Mill then passed N. Zwaanhof.  Further south, towards Ypres are the bridges numbered 5, 4, 3A, 3, 2, 1 and 1a.  Then there is a spur of the canal which goes straight passed the Bellewaardbeck.  Off to the left (more or less going south east) is the main part of the Canal which swings around the furthest east point of Ypres  and crosses the Ypres-Vlamertinge road (which, I assume has a bridge over the canal).  The Canal then continues further south in a generally westerly direction.

Is this what your map says?

1. My map is : The Yser Canal Front - 49th Division Sept.-Dec. 1915

2. Sorry, but I'm afraid the confusion is growing all the time. I live close by the canal, know the area quite well, and have seen many dozens of maps... And all I can say is that the Yser Canal begins 700 m north of the centre of Ypres (Cloth Hall), going straight north to the Yser. Never have I seen on any map or heard of a spur of the canal going east or southeast. (Unless maybe a ditch or little river flowing into the canal (like the Bellewaardebeek ?), but which certainly is not big enough for any boat, and which cannot be seen as part of the canal.

Sorry, but "the main part of the canal swinging round the furthest east point of Ypres and crossing the Ypres - Vlamertinge road" ... I just can't think what this refers too. Possibly an error on the map ? Which of course I would like to see.

Maybe on your map(s) the canal was wrongly connected to the Ramparts of Ypres ? (= east and south and southwest side of Ypres). But in reality the two (Canal and Ramparts) are in no way linked.

Or maybe ... And I hope you don't mind me asking, but ... when you write "east", do you mean ... east ? (Not : west ?) I'm asking because indeed west there is a link to the old Ypres-Comines canal.)

Aurel

Nathan,

I'm sure this scan (extract Sheet 28 N.W. 1-4-17) will clarify what I mean. (Sorry for the poor quality.)

North the beginning of the Yser Canal (going north to the bridges and to the River Yser)

Near the beginning of the canal, going southwest the link with the Ypres - Comines Canal.

And east, south and southwest side of Ypres : the Ramparts.

Aurel

post-92-1119026164.jpg

Aurel:

You have caught me on an east/west mistake.

More importantly, your map has corrected my map.

My map connectes the Yser Canal to the older Canal and then to the ramparts. Glad I asked this question.

Thanks for setting me on the straight and narrow.

Nathan

OK, Nathan. This matter has been settled then.

Actually I thought that this was the error indeed, or maybe that somehow your maps had been (digitally) mirrored.

Aurel

Here is Col. Duguid's map, "Dispositions & Moves, 5.00-7.00 pm 22nd April, 1915" (courtesy of the Archive Book CD Project, link).

post-2466-1119482304.jpg

Checking the relevant paragraph from Duguid's history (p233-234):

.....At six o'clock the transport was sent back across the canal and, as directed by the C.R.E., the company commander gave orders to prepare all the bridges for demolition: one party went northwards to the barrel bridge, No. 5, in the French area 400 yards across the inter-Alled boundary, cut it and rigged wire guys so that it could be swung to the west bank on the approach of the enemy; a second party put in three fougasses on the roadside at Bridge No. 4, commonly known as Brielen Bridge, which was at the boundary and supported by a barge. Canadian responsibility did not properly extend to these two bridges, but the French officer in charge reported that he could not look after them. The foot-bridges Nos. 3 and 3A, half a mile nearer to Ypres, and the horse traffic bridge No. 2 were also charged and manned, and the remainder of the company entrenched at Brielen Bridge, thereby extending the left of the 16th Battalion along the canal. The remaining foot bridges known as A. and No. 1 were prepared for demolition at about 10.30 p.m. by a party of The 1st Field Company under R.S.M. Ridgewell which was billeted west of the canal and had been building splinterproof head-cover at Chateau des Trois Tours.

Duguid's use of the term fougasse is in agreement with Simon's explanation.

Thanks, Chris.

Also for the clarifying map with the position of the bridges. (Just this : it says "Yser", but as I pointed out : this is not the Yser, but the Yser Canal (= Canal to the Yser, up north). (Unless the full name north of the extract you posted is "Canal de l' Yser".

Below a photo, probably of Bridge 4 (Brielen Bridge). Don't know what year however.

Aurel

post-92-1119515690.jpg

Hi Aurel. Thanks for the photo.

If I had gone a bit higher in the map extract, you would have seen "Canal de" L'Yser.

Aurel, on your second map, am I correct in assuming the narrow parts on the Ypres - Commines Canal are lifting locks?

post-2466-1119553314.jpg

Chris,

I'm a bit puzzled by your question. The narrow places are what I would call "a lock" in English (which is not my mother tongue), i.e. taking a boat from a higher part of the canal to the lower part, or vice versa, through a set of two lock gates, but my problem is that I do not know what "a lifting lock" is ... Or is a lifting lock the same as just a lock ? :(

(I'm confused because as far as I know there is also (elsewhere in Belgium) an ingenious lock system in which the boat is lowered or raised in a gigantic container of water. That is (was) certainly not the system used near Ypres.)

There was a lock on the Yser canal too, approx. 6 km north of the beginning of it, and 1 km south of Steenstrate.

Aurel

Sorry for the confusion, Aurel. I meant a lock. You are quite right a lifting lock is completely different (we have several on the Trent Canal system in Ontario, link). Thanks for your answer.