Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA burial - Rochdale 1937

Guest josie001

Guest josie001

Hi,

I am looking for information re. my g. grandfather Herbert Cockayne. He served as a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery. I have downloaded his medal card, which shows he was in Egypt in 1915.

He died in Rochdale in 1937 and is buried in a British Legion grave (along with approx 8 others) in Rochdale cemetary. Does anyone have any info as to why he would be buried in such a grave so long after his active service? Any information about him would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jo.

A visit to Rochdale library to view local newspaper obituaries of the date in question should yield you a result. If it was a military funeral they should be some report of the funeral. It's worth a try. This action has given me some great feedback.

Best of luck,

Steve

Guest josie001
A visit to Rochdale library to view local newspaper obituaries of the date in question should yield you a result. If it was a military funeral they should be some report of the funeral. It's worth a try. This action has given me some great feedback.

Best of luck,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tip. My mum has come up with the theory that the British Legion would bury ex-servicemen if the family couldn't afford it themselves. Don't think it was a military funeral, but will give it a try next time I am in Rochdale.

Cheers, Jo.