Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sandakan Death March

Andrew P

Even though this relates to WW2, I thought forum members might be interested to hear that the last survivor of the Sandakan Death March died last week.

Only 6 men out of a couple of thousand Australian & British servicemen survived their prisoner of war experience under the Japanese in Borneo in WW2, the rest being killed in camp or on the infamous death marches right near the end of the war in 1945.

Owen Campbell who died last week was the last survivor of this march. The following message is from the Department of Veterans Affairs

"Minister for Veterans' Affairs

Media Release Subscription Service

VA67

Thursday 3 July 2003

Australia farewells last survivor of Sandakan Death Marches

The Minister for Veterans' Affairs, Danna Vale, today expressed deep sorrow at the passing of Owen Campbell, the last survivor of the Sandakan death marches of World War II. Mr Campbell died at Modbury Hospital in Adelaide this morning at the age of 87.

"Owen Campbell was one of the true survivors. He overcame tremendous odds to become one of only six men to escape from the Sandakan death marches alive," Mrs Vale said. "He, like so many young Australians, put his life on the line in the defence of nation and paid a heavy price. For that we owe him our gratitude," she said. Born on 27 March 1916, Owen Campbell enlisted in Queensland on 9 July 1940 and was posted as an artilleryman to the 2/10th Field Regiment. He trained and fought with the unit in Malaya and Singapore until he was taken prisoner following the Fall of Singapore on 15 February 1942. Mr Campbell was allotted to various work parties and forced to work on the Singapore wharves before being sent to Borneo with E Force in March 1943, joining more than 2000 other Australian and British prisoners there. At first held on Berhala Island, Mr Campbell was transferred to Sandakan in June 1943. He and the other prisoners endured forced labour, beatings and torture, a starvation diet and illness. Late in January 1945, about 500 of the fittest prisoners were marched out of the camp, beginning the first infamous death march to Ranau. Mr Campbell left in a second group of 536 men at the end of May 1945.

Like most of the prisoners, Mr Campbell was ill and starving and doubted he could make it. Men soon began dying of disease and exhaustion or were murdered. About six days into the march, when Allied aircraft strafed his group, Campbell and four others took a chance and escaped into the jungle.

One man died and three others were killed after reaching the coast. Campbell, sick and near death, was saved by a local guerrilla leader, Orang Tua Kolong, who fed and hid him from the Japanese. In late July, weak and ill, he was taken through enemy lines and was rescued on 24 July 1945.

"The Sandakan death marches were among the darkest moments in our nation's history. Mr Campbell and the other survivors represented the best of the Australian spirit in the worst of times. "With the passing of Owen Campbell we have lost an important living link to a time in our history which must never be forgotten," the Minister said. Mr Campbell returned to Sandakan in 1999 as part of an Australian commemorative mission to dedicate a new memorial to the prisoners of war who died there.

Mr Campbell is survived by his wife, Evelyn, four children and 14 grandchildren. "

Andrew.

As someone who has lived in Borneo for 6 years I have a keen interest in this subject. I have visited many of the death march sites on my trusty trail bike.

Have you read Jack Sue's book Blood on Borneo?

cheers

Hi John

I received Jack Sue's book for a present last year. He's an amazing man who is still battling along in his wheelchair. He was in the paper just a day or two ago relating to a memorial service held in Kings Park.

I think one of the regrets he has is that him and his Z Force colleagues were never allowed to go into rescue these POW's.

Another good book is 'Sandakan-Conspiracy of Silence' by Lynette Silver.

I'm hoping to get up there one day to have a look around the various sites.

Cheers

Andrew