Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th West Yorkshire Regiment

This is my first post... I am helping my father research information on the movements of his father during the Great War. We know he was withdrawn for rest and recuperation at Desvres 9 June 1918. After this the battalion took over the line again in the Ypres Salient astride the Menin Gate (ref History Sketch of West Yorks page 50). Sometime around this period he was gassed along with 20 or 30 men in the battalion. As a result he was blinded (for 6 months) and evacuated to a hopsital in the Glasgow area.

If anyone has any information about the 1/5th West Yorkshire's movements around this time or where we could get the infomation from, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Caroline

Afraid there's no mention of the 1/5th for this period in "The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914-18" by Everard Wyrall other than a passing mention that they "were in the Salient".

Have you tried the War Diaries?

Dave.

Afraid there's no mention of the 1/5th  for this period in "The West Yorkshire Regiment in the War 1914-18" by Everard Wyrall other than a passing mention that they "were in the Salient".

Have you tried the War Diaries?

Dave.

Thank you. Where do you look for the War Diaries?

The War Diaries are the diaries kept by an adjutant of the battalion at the time and passed up the line to Division, Corps.

They are preserved and available to view at the National Archives at Kew (Our Mecca).

The 1/5th West Yorkshire Regiments War Diaries are referenced:

WO 95/2794 for Apr 1915 to Feb 1919 and

WO 95/1438 for Feb to Oct 1919

(WO 95 being the series for War Diaries)

You are able to view them in the reading room at the NA.

A very small percentage of the War Diaries are now available online to download (like the medal index cards) from the NA website.

Steve.

The West Riding Territorials in the Great War, by Major L Magnus might have something useful, (or not.) Most West Yorkshire libraries will have a copy in the reference section.

Tony.

They are preserved and available to view at the National Archives at Kew (Our Mecca).

Though you can often find them elsewhere also.

I don't know your location, but if Kew is too far, then the regimental museum in York (01904 662790 - Lt.Col.Vines) may have or might know the wherabouts of other copies of the diaries.

Dave

Magnus- 'The West Riding Territorials in The Great War' is no help I am afraid. P.203 Ch.XV merely says"---May, June and the first part of July does not fall within the province of the present chronicler". You could order the relevant section of the War Diary as a photocopy from the N.A. When only a few pages are required it is much cheaper and easier than going to Kew.

• 9 months later...
Magnus- 'The West Riding Territorials in The Great War' is no help I am afraid. P.203 Ch.XV merely says"---May, June and the first part of July does not fall within the province of the present chronicler". You could order the relevant section of the War Diary as a photocopy from the N.A. When only a few pages are required it is much cheaper and easier than going to Kew.

Hi, I think the Naval and Military Press have a small booklet on the 1/5th West Yorks. The Regimental Museum in York certainly hold copies of it and also the war diaries.

Regards, Jon Clark

Caroline,

I have the book referred to by Jon Clark at post 10, after the battle towards the end of April 1918 outside Wytschaete the book says "The 146th Brigade could only muster about 300 all told at the time. After this action the 1/5 with the remainder of the Division was withdrawn from the line and reinforcements were received, and after a short interval the battalion took over the line again in the restricted Ypres Salient astride the Menin Road, and from then until August held various positions in that area".

1/5th were withdrawn shortly after 8 August into reserve, but were soon moved to huts at Mont-St.-Eloy, N of Arras, 10 days later they went into the front line opposite Plouvain. They took part in various other action, the last one being on 1 November across the River Rhonelle to the railway line S of Marly. After the war they served in Cologne.

Keith