Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information about Great Grandfather

Leggy

I'm trying to find any info regarding my great grandfather L/Cpl Samuel Spooner Reg/No S/116 who was KIA on 4th feb 1916.I know he's buried at Essex Farm Boezinge.

I would like to know where and how he actually died.

Any info would be very much appreciated

Welcome to the Forum.

If you click on the link to the Long Long Trail (top left of this page), you'll find yourself on the mother site. If you then click on "research a soldier", you'll find all the information you need to get you started.

Please come back and ask any specific questions if you're not sure about anything. good luck.

John

Leggy, I don't know of any major actions in this area at that precise time. Of course, there was a constant attrition in the trenches - stray shells and snipers being the main culprits. The Germans did begin a series of diversionary attacks in this area just prior to the Battle of Verdun. These did not start until 8th February, so after the date when your great grandfather was killed.

Robert

Thx Robert.

Another question I have is,why would he have been in the Rifle Brigade.I have always assumed he would have been in a Regiment closer to the Midlands.

OK with the wonders of the web I found this extract from a BBC site:-

Many units passed through Boesinghe during this year, including the first wartime volunteers, men from Kitchener's Army, in the form of 14th (Light) Division. Among them were many young soldiers, including Private Valentine Joe Strudwick of the Rifle Brigade, who was killed in January 1916, aged 15. He was among the youngest soldiers to die in the war, and is buried in Essex Farm Cemetery.,

It also tells that there were skermishes from time to time aswell as alot of shell and sniper fire as RD explained.It seems that the Rifle Brigade must have spent time here and not moved straight through,unless my GG was wounded in Jan but hung on till Feb,this I will probably never know.

Most likely this poor soul is buried close to my G Grandfather.

I will in the near future be visiting my G Grandfathers grave at Essex farm,unfortunately my Grandmother or any other member of my family has ever done so,this I never spoke about with my grandmother as it was a sad part of her life having lost her mother in 1912 losing her father who I know she was very close to left lasting scars.

God bless both of them and the hundreds and thousands of men and women who gave their lives for US.

Thank you RB and JH for your help.

Leggy

I see that your gt grandfather was with the 8th Rifle Brigade who were part of 14th Light Division. My gt uncle was with another battalion from 14th Light Division - the 8th King's Royal Rifle Corps.

I have some information on 14th Light Division which may be of interest. I will look it out over the next couple of days.

You may know this already but 8th Rifle Brigade were in the thick of it at Hooge on 31/07/1915 when the Germans used flame-throwers for the first time.

All the best

Mike S

No m8 I did'nt know they were part of the 14th Light.So Thx very much for that and look forward to any more info you can give.

Regards Pete

Your Gt Gf and Pte Strudwick are close pals now.

Strudwick is in plot I-U-8 (pink) and Samuel Spooner is in I-T-7 (green)

Regards

Leigh

post-3828-1118996850.jpg

Thx Robert.                                 

Another question I have is,why would he have been in the Rifle Brigade.I have always assumed he would have been in a Regiment closer to the Midlands.

hello leggy,

soldier's died in the great war states your relative enlisted in smethwick, i know the rifle brigade enlisted men in smethwick and west brom. if he had enlisted in oldbury he would have probably ended up in the worcesters but saying that my relative enlisted in oldbury and ended up being killed with the royal marines!

enoch

Yes Leigh they certainly are.

Well I did wonder why he had'nt gone into the a regiment closer to home,saying that they all fought for the same cause.

Thx again for info folks.