Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC Soldier - a puzzle

John_Hartley

My researchee is Sgt Sydney Chevin Hall who died on 14/4/18 and is buried in Stockport Borough Cemetery.

I can't find him on SDGW and the CWGC site lists no unit. I'm presuming, therefore, he had probably been discharged soem time before. His number was S4/126066 and I'd be glad of any advice from ASC experts about what this might tell me about his service or when he might have enlisted.

My other puzzle with this man is one of identity. His MIC confirms his first names but the only person I can find on FreeBMD was born in 1867 - making him 51 when he died - surely too old. His place of birth was Marylebone and he appears to have been resident in London at the time of the Census.

Assuming it's the same bloke, at some point he marries Eliza (and I can't find that) who is listed by CWGC as living in Stockport.

Doncha just hate half-stories from research - I'd rather have found zilch.

Any thoughts, chaps (gender non-specific of course)

John

The S4 prefix indicates a Labourer for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th New Armies.

Specifically , it's the number of a 4th New Army Supplies Labourer. (S1 is 1st N.A., S2 is 2nd NA, etc.)

Dave.

john/dave,does that mean hes in the lab corps,bernard

No. It means he's a , for want of a better word, a "manual worker" in the ASC - a "shifter", a "packer", a "carrier" or whatever.

Dave.

john,could this be him. 1881 census

family-

george,b hall, dyed silk dealer age 33

charlotte age 33

children.

george,b jnr 10

augustus,w. 5

john,s. 3

sydney,c. 3mths

lottie,r 1

he was born queens rd,finsbury pk.

his family address was, 6 rothburn villas,stroud green rd,london,m/sex

his father was an ex gunner

1901.sydney hall age 19,gunner,born m/sex,living/stationed,IOW.

if he is your man john,it would make him about 36/37 when he died

bernard

ps.theres no fun when they are easy to find

Bernard,

Sydney Hall on the 1901 Census as a soldier on the IOW is Sydney Joseph Hall. RGA, Golden Hill Forts.

I don't think he is Sydney Chevin Hall.

Sorry,

Steve.

My other puzzle with this man is one of identity. His MIC confirms his first names but the only person I can find on FreeBMD was born in 1867 - making him 51 when he died - surely too old.  His place of birth was Marylebone and he appears to have been resident in London at the time of the Census.

John

With such an unusual middle name I can't imagine why you even want to dismiss him on the grounds of age! I would go with the 51 year old - it will make a much better story! I've had a quick browse through other censuses, and the Sidneys tend to waver with spelling - using both a 'y' and an 'i' at different times - it might need his birth certificate to name his parents and make the search much easier. Not that you would necessarily want to fork out the dosh.

Sue

Trying to find a suitable candidate for the 1867 Sydney. He must be related!

How about this family:

Living at 48 Hazelbourne Road, Balham Hill, Streatham, London.

Sydney Hall abt 1866 London, England Head

Lizzie Hall abt 1872 Stockport, Cheshire, England Wife

Sydney P Hall abt 1895 Rosano, Argentina Son

Mary G Hall abt 1896 London, England Daughter

Lucy F Hall abt 1899 Buenos Ayres Daughter

Sidney "P" doesn't quite fit but the others seem right. "Lizzie" = Eliza ?

I know this is going against my previous post about Bernard's man's middle name not fitting, but probably worth considering...

Steve.

Sydney Snr. seems to be some sort of "........... traveller" but I can't read the first part. I'll post an image later once I'm on my own computer...

Steve.

51 is not to old. During the 1918 reorganisation of the army a 51 Huddersfield infantryman who had enlisted in 1914, was transferred to the Labour Corps only to be killed by shellfire whilst shovelling coal.

Tony.

Hello

Just to remind you that freebmd is not a complete record, not all areas and years have been transcribed so that your particular man may not be appearing yet. Have you tried 1837 online, unfortunately this is a pay per view.

Hilary

You guys are just The Business!!!

Let me see if I now have this about right:-

Sydney Chevin Hall's birth is registered at Marylebone in the March quarter, 1867.

He later marries a woman from Stockport (Eliza/Lizzie)

In the 1890s they have 3 children (a couple born in interesting places)

At the 1901 Census, the family is living in Streatham, where Sydney works as an Ironmongers' Traveller.

Sometime after that, but before 1918, Eliza (and, no doubt, the rest of the family) take up residence back in her home town.

During the War, he's a labourer with an ASC Company, seeing overseas service. At some point, he is wounded or becomes ill and returns to the UK. He is probably discharged from the Army (hence no Company information on CWGC/SDGW). And he later dies.

Does that all sound OK?

John

And just in case you should ever need this information - the reference for his death certificate:

June quarter 1918

Registration district - Stockport

Volume 8a Page 75

Sue

Dont dismiss a 51 year old. There is one buried in my local cemetery, Kings Royal Rifle Corps Sergeant.

Terry Reeves