Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting stats

7:29am

Interesting website Jim, but I'm not too sure about some of the statistics !!

Patrick

Interesting website Jim, but I'm not too sure about some of the statistics !!

Patrick, which ones do you find suspicious?

marc

Wikipedia to me sums up the internet. There's a lot of useful information you couldn't find anywhere else but also tons of spurious material from who-knows-where which unfortunately gains automatic credence from 'being on the web'.

Wikipedia to me sums up the internet. There's a lot of useful information you couldn't find anywhere else but also tons of spurious material from who-knows-where which unfortunately gains automatic credence from 'being on the web'.

I tend to agree, particularily with Wikipedia, but I'm still trying to understand what people are finding suspect with the numbers provided.

marc

31,000 UK civilians killed in WW1 ???

What should the number be?

Since there is no separate category, I'd presume that the colonies are included, so it is more than the UK. Probably merchant marine losses would be in this, etc.

marc

The figures quoted for WW2 seem a bit high. the last I heard was that the estimated toll was about 40 million.

Best wishes

David

Marc,

I have no idea of what the 'right' figure is.

That's because the source doesn't tell me - it simply makes the bald satement that 31,000 UK civilians died. '12' or '50,000' might be equally valid figures - it all depends on what you define as 'UK' and 'civilian'.

Not a useful source as far as I'm concerned.

Jock

What should the number be?

Since there is no separate category, I'd presume that the colonies are included, so it is more than the UK. Probably merchant marine losses would be in this, etc.

marc

I find the figure given for Indian deaths far too low [25,000]. I've always understood, very roughly speaking, that the number of Indians who died was in excess of [again roughly speaking] the 60,000 figure often quoted for both the Canadian and Australian forces. Having just checked a couple of sources which agree, the figure given on the BBC web site is 64,449.

Sue

i think they are including the deaths during the japanese invasion of china in the ww2 figures,the bulgarian death toll in ww2 was never known,but was estimated to be very high,old ghengis and his mob seem to have knocked up a good score on their tour guides of asia,dont suppose there were many B+Bs left when him and his lager louts went home,bernard