Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Battalion London Regiment

draperju

Can anyone help me in finding information on where and what the above battalion was doing around the 23rd August 1918 when a soldier that I am researching died

Private Cuthbert Smith died in action 23/08/1918

Grateful for any information.

Draperju

1st or 2nd Battalion - both Bns of London Scottish were in France at that date (1st Bn in 56th Divn, 2nd in 30th Divn). I have the regtl history, so happy to look up.

1st or 2nd Battalion - both Bns of London Scottish were in France at that date (1st Bn in 56th Divn, 2nd in 30th Divn).  I have the regtl history, so happy to look up.

Thanks for reply

My man was with the 14th Battalion

There were two 14th Battalions - the 1/14th were with the 56th London Division, and the 2/14th had come back from Palestine and had joined the 30th Division. On 23rd August 1918 the 1/14th were in action in the Arras area, and the 2/14th were in the area of the Salient, so although I would hazard a guess that your man was with the 1/14th, I wouldn't like to make too great an assumption.

Any clues?

There were two 14th Battalions - the 1/14th were with the 56th London Division, and the 2/14th had come back from Palestine and had joined the 30th Division. On 23rd August 1918 the 1/14th were in action in the Arras area, and the 2/14th were in the area of the Salient, so although I would hazard a guess that your man was with the 1/14th, I wouldn't like to make too great an assumption.

Any clues?

My man is buried in Henin Military Cemetry which is situated eight miles southeast of Arras.

This should pin it down

Best wishes

Draperju

steve,will any of this give you any clues,

pte cuthbert smith

14th london scottish

No 528088

kia 23-8-18

born mickley square n/berland,lived hexham

buried henin comm cemetary ext. II.c.6

parents john.william+catherine smith,30 hencotes,hexham.

age 20

formerly No 106 RAMC.

bernard

will his place of burial help in ID the batt

Probably 1st/14th - I'm off out to a Council meeting (Social Policy Scrutiny Panel, since you asked). If I can stay awake long enough when I get back I'll look it up; if not, tomorrow.

My man is buried in Henin Military Cemetry which is situated eight miles southeast of Arras.

This should pin it down

Best wishes

Draperju

OK (and thanks, too, to Bernard) - definitely 1/14th - the 2/14 were in the Salient area.

The Bn (168 Bde, 56 Divn) were attacking Boiry-Becquerelle (on the Cojeul River), east of Arras. The Regtl history comments that the attack was to be made over completely unknown ground, and indeed, the Bn concentrated 12 miles from the front line prior to the attack. "It was a rapid and sudden concentration such as the Scottish had not yet taken part in, and everything worked with the smoothness of a well-adjusted machine."

The Bn was to attack the above-named village, but with A Coy skirting to the south and C to the north, with B ready to support whichever Coy met with least resistance. D was in reserve.

Assembly was completed by 4 a.m., in the middle of a gas-shell barrage which caused all ranks to wear box respirators for 2 hours. Zero was 4.55 a.m. The attack started with a 12-minute bombardment, followed by a creeping barrage, the Bn advancing in the new 'blob' formation.

C Coy got on well, and B followed it, and by 6 the vilage had been cleared and a trench on the far side captured. Contact was made with 4th Royal Scots (52 Div on the left flank) and 4th Londond on the right, and platoons were pushed out to the German Reserve line, about 500 yards futher on. A heavy German barrage started to fall at 8 a.m., lasting till 3. At 5, a full attack was made on the German reserve position, and despite some resistance, this was captured by 6, with 86 enemy captured.

Patrols were then sent out another 500 yards.

In all, 25 men were killed, 1 officer and 55 wounded, and 2 and 44 gassed. 250 prisoners, 16 machine guns and 5 trench mortars were captured.

In the early hours of the following morning the 168th bde was relieved by 167th, and went into reserve. They spent the 24th in the trenches they had captured; so fast was the advance that these were now a quiet area!

A perfectly-organised attack, quite typical of the skill of organisation shown in 1918 - and advance of over 2,000 yards, over ground not seen before, with minimal casualties.

And done (might I be controversial) by the best territorial Battalion on the Western Front!!!!

OK (and thanks, too, to Bernard) - definitely 1/14th - the 2/14 were in the Salient area.

The Bn (168 Bde, 56 Divn) were attacking Boiry-Becquerelle (on the Cojeul River), east of Arras. The Regtl history comments that the attack was to be made over completely unknown ground, and indeed, the Bn concentrated 12 miles from the front line prior to the attack. "It was a rapid and sudden concentration such as the Scottish had not yet taken part in, and everything worked with the smoothness of a well-adjusted machine."

The Bn was to attack the above-named village, but with A Coy skirting to the south and C to the north, with B ready to support whichever Coy met with least resistance.  D was in reserve.

Assembly was completed by 4 a.m., in the middle of a gas-shell barrage which caused all ranks to wear box respirators for 2 hours.  Zero was 4.55 a.m.  The attack started with a 12-minute bombardment, followed by a creeping barrage, the Bn advancing in the new 'blob' formation.

C Coy got on well, and B followed it, and by 6 the vilage had been cleared and a trench on the far side captured. Contact was made with 4th Royal Scots (52 Div on the left flank) and 4th Londond on the right, and platoons were pushed out to the German Reserve line, about 500 yards futher on.  A heavy German barrage started to fall at 8 a.m., lasting till 3.  At 5, a full attack was made on the German reserve position, and despite some resistance, this was captured by 6, with 86 enemy captured.

Patrols were then sent out another 500 yards.

In all, 25 men were killed, 1 officer and 55 wounded, and 2 and 44 gassed. 250 prisoners, 16 machine guns and 5 trench mortars were captured.

In the early hours of the following morning the 168th bde was relieved by 167th, and went into reserve.  They spent the 24th in the trenches they had captured; so fast was the advance that these were now a quiet area!

A perfectly-organised attack, quite typical of the skill of organisation shown in 1918 - and advance of over 2,000 yards, over ground not seen before, with minimal casualties.

And done (might I be controversial) by the best territorial Battalion on the Western Front!!!!

Thank you for all your help