Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horace Curtis VC

Julian Whippy

A friend of mine had a great uncle, Horace Augustus Curtis who won the VC at Le Cateau 18th Oct 1918.

Served with the 2nd Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers and died in Cornwall 1968. They have the citation but I was wondering if anyone had any unit information pertinent to Horace so that they can know a little bit more about what he was up to around the time of the great events.

Thanks

Julian

Guest Hussar

Hi Julian,

You could check out this book

VCs of the First World War - The Final Days 1918 (Gerald Gliddon, 2000)

This volume of 'VCs of the First World War' covers the six weeks from the Battle of the Canal du Nord until Armistice Day. Arranged chronologically, the author's narrative tells the stories of the fifty-six VC-winners from France, Canada and Britain who fought in the victorious Allied advance.

Thanks for that, I knew there were a series of those books for somme, 1917 etc but had not seen the edition you refer to, so i'll look up a copy

ta

Julian

• 8 years later...
  • 10 years later...

Hi  I am very interested in Horace Curtis as I am writing a book concerning volunteer recruitment in Cornwall and Devon prior to the introduction of conscription and I wish to include his bravery.

29 minutes ago, Everett Sharp said:

Hi  I am very interested in Horace Curtis as I am writing a book concerning volunteer recruitment in Cornwall and Devon prior to the introduction of conscription and I wish to include his bravery.

I don't know if Horace is included but this book also deals with recruitment in Cornwall up to 1916. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cornwalls-Fallen-Road-Somme-Thornicroft/dp/0752445286 

• Admin

greeneyes_fdp is no longer a member here, as denoted by Guest.

Alan  Many thanks. 

I have discovered a local history group where he was born; and an email address to contact the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (remembrance) site.

Museumtom

Thank you for the photo...

I want to see the relevant VC book that has his date ..fingers crossed...of his enlistment...the more facts the better.

Ancestry has a partial service record for Horace Curtis VC which gives his date of enlistment into DCLI at St Austell as 12/09/1914 with the number 15833; he was transferred to the RDF a week later with the number 14107. He served with 5th DCLI after the war (as CSM) with the number 5431368.

Cheers, Pat

Pat.  Many thanks.  I am now beginning to build a much clearer picture of this very brave man. 

I do have other more general questions to ask concerning non Irishmen serving in Irish regiments that I will put to the whole GWF.

4 hours ago, Everett Sharp said:

Pat.  Many thanks.  I am now beginning to build a much clearer picture of this very brave man. 

I do have other more general questions to ask concerning non Irishmen serving in Irish regiments that I will put to the whole GWF.

A topic often raised

As a new member I had not searched for the topic of non-Irishmen in southern Irish regiments, but since being alerted I have done so.  It appears that although there are questions about the assertion found in Orange, Green and Khaki...it's complicated.  And all very, very interesting....plus, for me, a lesson learned about searching.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2022 at 16:18, museumtom said:

image.png.3486568f2f75ae0bd28496bad88c2a7d.png

Thanks for the photo.  Is it useable as in a new book to be published?  I am writing a piece concerning Cornish and Devonian men who were awarded the VC during the war, including 1919 as, for many, the war did not end in 1918.

There is quite a bit of information concerning Sgt. Curtis V.C in 'Cornwall in the First World War' by Pete London page 89.

E.

The image is from The War Illustrated, 25/01/1919. Page 412.