Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Plaques on speedbid

Terry

There are currently on speedbid a number of memorial plaques on offer named to Indians, and I ran a search on the CWGC site. Of fourteen I checked no less than eight came back with no results. This struck me as a bit odd. Any thoughts?

The spelling of Indian names in English can vary dramatically. There can be various spellings of the same name and it is not uncommon to find the same name spelt differently from different sources.

I have a friend living in Dheli who tells me that plaques are still manufactured there. Caution is advised.

Terry Reeves

I have a friend living in Dheli who tells me that plaques are still manufactured there. Caution is advised.

Terry Reeves

Hi Terry, :)

Would that be just Indian Plaques, or a more general thing ?

Cheers

Tim.

Guest PROCONSUL

Two little tests to help determine if plaques, also known as "Death Pennies", are genuine are as follows:

1. near the lion's rear foot is a batch number. I have seen up to No. 93 but they probably run higher.

2. on the back there may be a foundry mark e.g. Woolwich Arsenal had a W with a line across the centre to make a WA.

The presence absence of these makrks do not make any particualr plaque genuine but it helps and I doubt that forgers in India are attending to this level of detail.

• 2 weeks later...

John Williams of Southern Medals has loads of Indian plaques for sale. He's totally above board, so of you fancy any may be you could have a look at what he has for sale.

Not sure, but I think he's got someone out in that part of the world - may be someone in the forces who gets them for him.

Terry Reeves

Terry

Reading Nigel's post, you may be in a position to be awarded £500. ;)

John

I've been looking at a thread on  " The Dark Side "  about some kind of unexplained rant on bogus factories set up in India ? producing such items as these.

How quaint, a latter day Great War rumour. I wonder if it can trace its lineage back to the Great War factories that were, during 1914-1918, rumoured to be melting down corpses.

As for fakes originating from this country, I don't think we should worry unduly. In a country where all spelling seems to be approximate, the fakes would be easy to spot. They'd be the ones reading: "HE DID FOR FREADOM".

Paul

(Indian correspondent)

Nice one Paul, but not a rumour I can assure you. All I have advised is caution.

John, thanks for for the info about a £500 reward. I have my own thoughts about this as I'm sure you will know.

Terry Reeves

John, thanks for for the info about a £500 reward. I have my own thoughts about this as I'm sure you will know.

Terry

Don't get me wrong, mate. I've no info myself. Just going off what Nigel is indicating that someone is offering £500 for evidence of plaques being made in India. I hadnt realised there was so much money in this game - must stopping collecting pigs and switch to militaria.

However, if you get paid, you will owe me a big drink for pointing you in the right direction. Know what I mean.

Regards and happy days from Sunny Stockport

John