Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual grave layout

FredJCarss

While in Hawkhead Cemetery, Paisley I came across this unususl stone.

I have visited many hundreds of cemeteries but never seen this type of layout before.

I've seen 38 unknown on one single stone, the usual two to a plot two crests on one stone but never this before.

I thought the pals may be interested

Fred

Im trying - very

Sorry it wont go I will try to post later this evening

Fred

Thank goodness :blink:

I made it

Sorry for mucking everyone around

Fred

This is a second sighting of this style then. There's another like it at Bodelwyddan chuchyard in Wales. (But in Prtland Stone if I remember correctly.)

Tom

This is a second sighting of this style then.  There's another like it at Bodelwyddan chuchyard in Wales. (But in Prtland Stone if I remember correctly.)

Tom

You do Tom.

Simon

post-1722-1118688666.jpg

post-1722-1118688678.jpg

The thing that really puzzlled me was the fact that I thought all the stones were to be of uniform shape to preserve symetery in the layout. :huh:

Fred

This is a normal shaped headstone on Perth (China Wall) Cemetery Zillebeke. Quit particular. The big difference is naturally that the three badges are for unknown soldiers. Also special is the fact that the stone indicates: six soldiers. Quite a few 'mass graves' in that Cemetery. Aurel and myself went to count the total: there are 44 hedastones which have commemoration of more than one soldier. The total number of soldiers commemorated are 329. The biggest one contains 25 remains.

Jacky

post-27-1118698205.jpg