Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

enlisted under false name

uncle bill

Hello

I'd be most grateful for any help with the following subject. Last christmas my father in law told me that his grandad, who obviously, he'd never met, was killed in the Great War and that was as much as he knew. Subsequent research showed that he had joined the 1st Dorsets at the age of 44 and had enlisted under a false name. He was wounded at Hill 60 and died in field hospital in Bailleuil. A previous topic has got me wondering if he had something to hide and what pushed him to join up under a false name. Is there a place where records might exist that would help clear up a mystery ?

If you can tell us his real name, someone may be able to help. I assume you do not know the alias under which he served.

People enlisted under assumed names for many reasons. Some men enlisted more than once (more than one kings shilling); others for family reasons; some because they enlisted under age; some so they would be difficult to trace for various reasons and some just to make a point. A famous example is John Simpson Kirkpatrick (the Gallipoli man with the donkey) who, as I recall, added one of the two latter names.

I believe that there were also examples of men with germanic names using an alter ego. One family living at the end of the Mall in London changed their name to Windsor during the war in an attempt to make their family connections with the Kaiser rather less obvious.

Another example stands out on the Menin Gate and reads XXXXX enlisted as A. Duty (sense of humour here I think).I can never remember his real name - no doubt someone will furnish it and jog my memory.

Have you any clues as to when he enlisted? It may also help in searching Soldiers Died to have an indication of where he lived, where he was born and where he enlisted (assuming he gave correct details). Around 250 1st Dorsets died of wounds during the war but smart detective work on locations and dates would whittle this down.

Good luck!

Guest stevebec

It appears common in AIF units that soldiers serving under another name.

Most did because as stated four many reasons like under age and those mentioned above, but many did it four the following.

It was common in the AIF for soldier who either wounded or through illness or being trouble makers, once returned to Australia to be discharged.

Many men wanted to get back to there mates or the war and to do that they reenlisted under another name.

On VC winner was shown as being Returned through illness and deserted in Australia. He relisted under other name and won his VC in France.

Many were found out during the war and changed back to there real names or they did it them selves once over seas (not wanting to died under a different name) while others changed there name via depoll for what ever reasons.

It is an interesting subject.

S.B

Some convicted criminals were given amnesties from prison if the enrolled. Many changed their names - one went on to win the VC under his assumed name. It was a chance to break with the past - you could keep your new name when you came out.

Others did so to 'fool' the recruiting officer. The stories of under-age boys being turned away by an RSM with a knowing wink and told to come back tomorrow a couple of years older not only aged overnight but acquired a new name to make their enrolment doubly sure.

thanks for all the replies. Sorry I haven't replied but I was away. His name was Henry Bunce. When I visited his grave I was surprised to see the name BURNS and in smaller letters BUNCE his real name.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

A cousin of my grandfather enlisted under a false name as he was in a reserved occupation. He was killed at the Third Ypres.

Ian

:ph34r:

could he have joined up under a false name because of his age. I've heard of young lads joining up under the legal age but was there an upper limit ? 2nd Lt Webber was KIA on the Somme at 68 wasn't he ?

Guest stevebec

I have done alot of reseach on the AIF and so far I have found two soldiers from the Camel Corps who enlisted and reenlist between four and five times either under their own name or using many names.

Both served on Gallipoli and wounded and returned to be discharged only to quickly reenlist to get back to the war.

I wonder if those in the UK were in that much of a hurry to get back to France and to possibly died?

I have a small number of underage soldiers who were found out but others who were not.

S.B

An Australian military research company produced a book on WW1 aliases a few years back called 'What's In A Name'

While It doesn't have all the aliases used in the AIF I believe it lists a couple of thousand and is a very good starting point for someone interested in why soldiers changed their names when enlisting.

Any of the 'Pals' volunteer to compile such a list on aliases in British regiments. Anyone got a couple of spare years :huh:

Cheers

Andrew

No he was 22.

Ian

Henry Webber 68 year old stockbroker who became a subaltern

Guest Ian Bowbrick
No he was 22.

Ian

Henry Webber 68 year old stockbroker who became a subaltern

Sorry cross purposes - I was talking about a relative not Webber!

sorry Ian, a mere corporal contradicting a colonel. What's my punishment ?