Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sussex Regiment

Davidr

I am trying to find out some information on L/Cpl Percy Light of the royal sussex. his MIC states theatre of war 1st served in as ascatic ( I think, bit hard to make out) with a date of entry of 17.8.15.

could anyone tell me where this means he served and if possible the battalion he served with.

many thanks

dave

dave,only the 1/4th served at gallipoli,they landed at suvla bay on 8-8-15 and left on 13-12-15,bernard

But isn't the Asiatic theatre Mesopotamia and Persia, et al, and not Gallipoli in the Balkans?

Steve.

steve your right,but i have seen turkey sometimes ref to as the asiatic shores,its ww1 mate,bloody complicated,bernard

But isn't the Asiatic theatre Mesopotamia and Persia, et al, and not Gallipoli in the Balkans?

Steve.

I'm not sure of the geographical side Steve - I mentioned Gallipoli to offer a correction to Bernard's statement (which he has since altered) that no Royal Sussex Battalions were at Gallipoli.

Tom

The 4th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment arrived in Egypt [Alexandria] on the 28th July 1915, leaving two days later and travelling via Port Said and Mudros before landing at Suvla Bay in the early hours of the 9th August. The battalion war diary for the 22nd August states that they had received a draft of 1 officer and 175 men - it could be that Percy Light was part of this draft, again coming in by a similar route from Alexandria - it might be easier to interpret the date of entry if it could be posted as an image - perhaps it refers to a date of entry into Egypt.

Sue

I have a copy of his MIC which i tried to attach, didn't work for some reason. however next to the theater are the numbers 5Gii and iv also he was awarded the IGS NWF 1919. does this help?

Dave

In that case he seems to have gone to India - so probably went out as a reinforcement for the 1st Battalion who were in India throughout the war. The IGS would confirm this.

Sue

This theatre of war covers the NWF of India as well; so this man is a 1st Battalion regular soldier; I suspect he has a L prefix to his number? Although they were in India from before 1914 they were not in a theatre of war until August 1915. They stayed and served on the NWF in 1919.

This theatre of war covers the NWF of India as well; so this man is a 1st Battalion regular soldier; I suspect he has a L prefix to his number? Although they were in India from before 1914 they were not in a theatre of war until August 1915. They stayed and served on the NWF in 1919.

Paul

he does indeed have an L prefix.

thanks for your help.

dave