Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Between Chateau Thierry & Fi???????

ackimzey

Along with my great uncle's diary, there is very blurry picture of several soldiers standing in front of some dug outs. The information on the back reads "This is a picture taken between Chateau Thierry and Fi(ss???) or Fi(sn????) The dug outs are in the side of a big hill just as far as can be seen on each side & they were occupied at times bye the Boche and then the allies........."

I know it isn't much to go on, but does anyone have any idea about the "Fi??????" town? or location? There appears to be about 7 or 8 letters in the word but the Fi is all that I can be sure of. I've tried some map searches but nothing shows up that seems to fit.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ann Kimzey

There is a village called "Vincilles" west of Chateau Thierry. Doesn't start with F but the I is in the right place and it is 9 letters!

To the east there is a village called Fossoy.

Thats as much as i can help!

• Admin

Possibly Fismes?

Regards, Michelle

Yes Fismes and it's twin across the River Vesle?, Fismette, there is a memorial bridge there to 28th Pennsylvania Division

A great big "thank you" to all of you. After I posted my question last night I was able to gently scrape off some of the black paper that was stuck to the back of the picture. It it still not completely clear, but I am 99% sure that the word is "Fismes".

I really appreciate all the help!

Ann

• 2 months later...

If you are still interested you may want to find Towards the Flame by Hervey Allen. Allen was a Lieutenant in the 28th and wounded in taking Fismette, which is where the memoir ends. He tells the story in such a down to earth readible way. Most of his concerns were with the comforts of himself and his men and there are frequent mentions of the ktichens being brought up. It truly brought home the idea that an army travels on its stomach. Allen probably travelled behind and within his own lines more than any other soldier in the AEF and each trip is a glimpse into a small part of the war. I got it at B & N for pretty cheap. JMHO

thanks for the additional information. I certainly will "add that to my list". I'm almost finished with the transcription of my great uncle's

diary, just have to add some family "oral" history and a bit of geneology plus some pictures which have surfaced. That's how I found this great forum. I had emailed an english travel agent about "Baupaume" when their sight came up after a "google search". They corrected my spelling, sent a map and told me about this forum and website........knowing all the while that I wasn't booking a trip, just trying to find a city in France....that's some kind of service!

Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on the "book" section and want to do some reading and study after I finish my diary project. I appreciate the recommendation.

Ann

This is the picture my first post was referencing. When I first posted, I could not get it to upload, but thougt I'd try again and it worked! Quality is pretty poor but I imagine it's been through a lot.

Ann K.