Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Clive Maxwell Bailey

Hambo

Buried in our local churchyard is 2nd Lt Bailey RFC. CWGC gives very few details. Does anyone know how he died? He does not appear in The Sky Their Battlefield so I assume he was killed during training at home, if so does anyone have any information on him? The date of death is given as the 3rd of August 1917

Many Thanks Hambo

Hi Hambo,

Airman Died by Chris Hobson lists the following:

BAILEY 2/Lt Clive Maxwell

59 Training Squadron. Pilot. (Royal Fusiliers)

Native of Limpsfield. Age 23. KWF 3.8.17

Buried At Limpsfield, Surrey.

I can't find anything on the NA Website but it could be worth a visit to see if you can dig anything up.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

Hambo

2Lt C M Bailey of No 59 Training Squadron was killed in an accident while flying BE 2e 4434 on 3 August 1917.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Thanks Paul and Gareth

Gareth, do you know 59 Training squadron were based?

Thanks to you both Hambo

From the London Gazette:

13-4-1917

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are made:—

Flying Officers.—

20th Mar. 1917.

Temp. 2nd Lt. C. M. Bailey, Gen. List.

Steve.

Thanks Steve

I saw the expression " General List" mentioned on another source in reference to this officer, do you happen to know what it means? Also the Gazette says he was a Flying Officer, but would this have been his rank? My understanding was that those ranks didn't come in until after the RAF came into being.

Thanks for the additional information

Hambo

Hambo

Sorry, I don't have the location of No 59 Training Squadron readily to hand. If I can find it, I'll let you know.

The term 'Flying Officer' used in 1917 means an officer who flew, the RAF rank wasn't introduced until August 1919.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Gareth

Do you happen to know what the general list is?It sort of sounds like he was "unallocated to a unit but Paul listed him as a former Royal Fusilier

Am I on the right track?

Thanks Hambo

I don't really know, but I've always assumed it was that...

He was a private with the Royal Fusiliers wasn't he? I would assume that he went to Officer Cadet training school after he was in the RF, then onto the "General List", then to RFC.

From search, it seems to be "an unallocated soldier", a soldier without a badge.

Steve.

C'Mon Boys & Girls,

We're looking a bit amateur here! Stebie, you were on the right track.

MIC Details are:

Bailey, Clive Maxwell

19th Royal Fusiliers PS/33 Private

Royal Flying Corps Second Lieutenant

Hambo,

Did you know that you can download his Medal Index Card from the National Archives for £3.50.

It can be found here:

Bailey, C M

This will tell you what medals he was entitled to.

The details below are about the 19th Battalion. Royal Fusiliers and were taken from the website "The Long, Long Trail".

19th (Service) Battalion (2nd Public Schools)

Formed at Epsom, 11 September 1914, by the Public Schools and University Mens Force. 26 June 1915 : attached to 98th Brigade, 33rd Division. 27 February 1916 : transferred to GHQ; disbanded on 24 April 1916, with many of the men being commissioned

Looks as though your man was probably a Public School Boy and after serving as a Private joined the RFC as an Officer, following the disbandment of the Battalion in 1916. His low number suggests that he was an early member of the Battalion. He may well have served with the 33rd Division in France from November 1915 to April 1916.

You would need to visit the NA to see if a service record can be found.

Hope This Helps.

PAUL JOHNSON B)

Comrades

I think the 'General List' means that 2Lt Bailey was no longer in the Royal Fusiliers, as he had been commissioned as an officer who was going to fly with the RFC, but he wasn't made a permanent RFC officer, ie if he failed to become a flier (either pilot or observer) he probably wouldn't have remained in the RFC.

Regards

Gareth