Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

company to platoon

Joe Walsh

Ok i've got the company and now im looking for a photo and i've been told your most likely to get a photo of a platoon. So how do you find out wwhat platoon a man was in when you know what coy he was in.

With the great difficulty or amazing luck, I'd say.

Not only will you need to know what platoon he was in, but in order to know that he will be in the photo (if you find one) you will need to know the date he was serving in the platoon (men moved around for a variety of reasons from one to another) and the date the photograph was taken. That's a very small, hay-coloured needle in a very large haystack.

Ken

So how do you find out wwhat platoon a man was in when you know what coy he was in.

Joe,

If you haven't done so already, it might be worth contacting the Regimental Museum, as there's a good chance they'll have a captioned photograph of the company & / or platoon before it left for France & Flanders. In the case of the regiment I've been interested in, the DLI, there is a seachable online database with 26,000 online photos ... mind, often it depends on the man you're looking for having been trained by the 'Special Reserve' battalion(s) or been recruited early in the history of whatever 'New Army' battalion.

David T.

I'm afraid not, by a twist of fate I live in Ireland where my mothers from and i'm very interested in my gransfathers mysteious past no-one knew what he did my grandmother never spoke of him and no-one knew he won a medal for gallantry because they got lost and sold (long story).

You and Ivor Lee from LC have given me the best info so far.

I emailed the RE mueseeum and they said they had no record of him, but they said i should come and have a look because staff shortages meant they could not do a thouragh search. I'll try again now that I have a company.

Joe