Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

visiting paschendaele

Guest edwinwrg4751

Guest edwinwrg4751

i am going to ypres paschendaele and poelcapel in july with my brother and nephew to see the areas that my graddad fought with the 330brigade rfa.ihe was lucky and survived.

are there any tips or sites to see in our 4 days visit.they would be greatly noted.

many thanks edwin

There's alot of stuff on the forum about visiting the Ypres area, and I'm sure members will give you some tips. But my advice as a first timer is to buy a copy of Rose Coombs "Before Endeavours Fade" and use that as your guide book: you can't beat it.

You can buy it at Amazon here

Hi, Edwin,

I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit. There are some very worthwhile "must see" sites in the Ypres area, with some of the most important ones around Passchendaele and Poelkapelle but the problem is finding your way from one place to another, as there isn't much to help you by way of signs.

I'd recommend that you get a good guide-book of the area. This will help you to plan your visit while you're still at home (and it helps to build up the excitement) and then when you get there, a guidebook will be very useful in helping you to find your way around. You can also find out a little bit about the history of these places before you arrive. There's nothing worse than getting home and finding that you missed a very interesting place just because you didn't know it was there.

The standard guidebook which covers the whole of the Western Front is "Before Endeavours Fade" by Rose E. B. Coombs. This was first published in 1976 and it has been regularly updated and remained in print right up to today.

Another one, more specific to the area, is "Major and Mrs. Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Ypres Salient." This has four (I think) separate itineraries and the idea is that if you have one day to spare you follow Itinerary One and see the must-see places. If you have a second day available, you can follow Itinerary Two, and so on.

There is also "Walking the Salient" by Paul Reed which contains lots of excellent historical information and includes a Passchendaele Walk. What makes this book different from the other two is that it calls your attention to things and places that you can see while walking, and while you have time to look - not always possible when whizzing around by car.

Tom

An absolute must is the superb new 'Passchendaele Memorial Museum' which just to be confusing isn't actually in Passendale but in nearby Zonnebekke. This is much better in my opinion than the 'In Flanders Fields' museum for gaining an overall view of the geography and chronology of the fighting, in particular the Third Ypres battle. Pal Charlotte's 'Varlet Farm' is between Passendale and Poelkappele in the heart of the battlefield and you can stay there! The Holt's map is the most useful road map of the area, but doesn't have all tracks. I am on about my seventh copy. My wife and I like to cycle round the area whenever possible. as Tom says it gives you a different perspective to whizzing round by car.

must agree the passchendaele memorial museum in my opinion is a must if only for the dugout experience,never mind all the other useful info

Hi Edwin

There is just so much to see and do here, that 4 days will definetely not be long enough. Don't try to cram it all in, it is not possible.

Definetely go to Zonnebeke Museum and Tyne Cot. Also, The Ramparts Museum by the Lille Gate in Ypres visiting also the Ramparts cemetary.

Talbot House in Poperinge is a MUST! as the Death Cells at the back of the Town Hall.

Hooge Crater Museum and Cemetary, then walk 500 metres up the road to a small trench system in the grounds of the B&B, donation in the box.

Ploegsteert with the wonderful memorial and walk in the woods.

But really, get Major and Mrs Holts Guide to the Salient - will help immensly.

Have a good trip

Liz

Edwin do you have any specific information as to the area your Grandad may have fought in. If there for four days use the guide books but split the area into sections. the Ypres salient is roughly split in two by the Menin Rd perhaps one day do the south salient and Messines Ridge,and the next do the North section particularly points associated with 3rd Ypres - Passchendale. A day should be put aside for visiting Ypres itself and behind the lines to Poperinghe. A fourth day can be spent revisiting any area in more detail. I think if you go about it in a structured way you,ll see alot more. there is so much there thatthe temptation can be to whizz around from place to place. the books recommended are all good and before Endeavours Fade sets out car routes of exploration that you would probably be wise to follow on a good trip/ have a great trip and dont forget the menin gate, last post 8pm each evening.

SG

Guest edwinwrg4751
Edwin do you have any specific information as to the area your Grandad may have fought in. If there for four days use the guide books but split the area into sections. the Ypres salient is roughly split in two by the Menin Rd perhaps one day do the south salient and Messines Ridge,and the next do the North section particularly points associated with 3rd Ypres - Passchendale. A day should be put aside for visiting Ypres itself and behind the lines to Poperinghe. A fourth day can be spent revisiting any area in more detail. I think if you go about it in a structured way you,ll see alot more. there is so much there thatthe temptation can be to whizz around from place to place. the books recommended are all good and before Endeavours Fade sets out car routes of exploration that you would probably be wise to follow on a good trip/ have a great trip and dont forget the menin gate, last post 8pm each evening.

SG

he fought with the 330 brigade rfa at paschendaele but he started at le preol which i am afraid that although i have been given the map coordinates,i still can not place where it is.i would be grateful of help here as i would like to see where granddad started life in ww1 any help on le preol please would be great

Edwin put your information including the map coordinates on Le preol on a new thread on The Western Front section of the forum and ask if any pal can identify its whereabouts for you. You,ll besurprised at the expertise here I bet someone will know. SG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marijke

Hello

I am new here. 15th july my friend and I want to visit the Yper area to search there for roots of Albert Bentley Newman who was in 3rd Worchesters 8th Division and died there on 11 august 1917.

I found out in a book that there was an Inn. Marie Ricourt was servant there, her parents owned it. It was situated on the Black Mountain near Danouter.

Many British soldiers drunk there last beer there. Does anyone know if this Inn still excists. And if not what happened with it. I know that Mary Ricourt had to flew from the Inn in April 1917.

thanks Marijke