Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinctive headgear.

Tony Lund

I have recently found my grandfather’s serial number. Army Service Corps Driver T4/061684, would that be horse, motor or camel?

There was a photograph, now lost, of him sitting on a camel, presumably in Egypt. The really interesting thing about this photograph is the description given by relatives of the uniform and in particular the cap he was wearing in the picture. The uniform has been described as very fancy and the cap is decorated with silver braid and tassels on one side. Was this distinctive headgear the normal attrite for an Army Service Corps driver? Was he perhaps attached to some other unit which has such a hat?

Any clues will be helpful,

Tony.

I have recently found my grandfather’s serial number.  Army Service Corps Driver T4/061684, would that be horse, motor or camel?

4th New Army Horse transport.

Dave.

Thanks, that is interesting, do you know the approximate dates for the formation of the 4th New Army?

Tony.

do you know the approximate dates for the formation of the 4th New Army?

It was proposed (AO 389) on 14th September 1914 and was approved in November.

However (to add confusion), the 5th New Army (approved 10th December 1914) was renamed the "4th New Army" after the "original" 4th was broken up in April 1915.

Dave.