Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS Armoured Cars 1915

I've got my great grandfathers Certificate of Service in the Royal Navy, which is unfortunately very faded. It says that he joined on the 11th November 1914 and was posted to Pembroke III. Then it was President II from 5th Feb 1915 to 9th March 1916. Cause of discharge being that the armoured cars had disbanded. After that he went to Wormwood Scrubs. He was awarded a chevron in 1915.

Looking through the forum I've learnt that Pembroke and President were accounting bases for the RNAS and that George would have probably been posted abroad. He was a mechanic by trade so as he was posted to Wormwood Scrubs in 1916 I assume he was helping to develop the tanks.

He died in 1979 when I was 11 yrs old but I remember him saying that he was at Gallipoli on machine guns and that he had to look after Queen Mary when the King visited Talbot Works to have a look at the tanks.

Has anyone got any information on the RNAS armoured cars to help me with the above?

Thanks,

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc

The following RNAS armoured car sqns served in the Dardanelles:

No 3 Sqn with Rolls-Royce armoured cars

One section of No 4 Sqn also with R-Rs

Nos 9-12 Sqns equipped with machine guns on motor-cycle combinations

If your great grandfather was a machine-gunner he would have probably been in one of Nos 9-12 Sqns.

It seems then that he returned to UK and joined No 20 Sqn at Wormwood Scrubs, since it was this unit which was involved in tank development. It was, however, transferred to the Royal Marines at the end of 1917.

Charles M

Jean-Marc

Do you how long he was at Wormwood Scrubs? His RNAS register of service will be at Kew in ADM 188; that may give clues where he went to next and maybe if he was transferred to another unit.

Thanks very much for the information.

I can just make out from the service certificate the following:

Pembroke III Petty Mechanic Air Service (E) 11th Nov 1914 - 4th Feb 1915

President II ? 5th Feb 1915 - 9th March 1916 Armoured cars disbanded

President II (Squad 20) Air Mech 1st Grade 10th March 1916 - 17th July 1916

President II Air Mech (D) 18th July 1916 - 31st March 1918

President V (Lincoln) (Squad 20) Air Mech (D) 1st April 1918 - 26th June 1918

President V (Doilis)??? (Squad 20) MI (D) 27th June 1918 - 18th Feb 1919 Shore?

It appears that he was at Wormwood Scrubs from March 1916 onwards.

I couldn't make out 'Squad 20' but after you mentioned it above it was as clear as daylight!!

All this information will make my life so much easier when I get time to go to Kew so again thanks for your help (I've only just started to do WW1 research so very much a novice)

Jean-Marc

The armoured car squadrons saw little use at Gallipoli apart from brief excursions in the attacks on Krithia. The cars spent much of their time in "trenches" specially dug to provide them with protection and there are still what appear to be remains of these "parking lots" on the edge of the RND/French sectors on Gallipoli.

The men and machine guns, however, saw a lot of use as dismounted machineguns in numerous locations on the peninsula. Some were used at one time in the Jephson's post area on the Kiretch Tepe Ridge at Suvla (more info on this area in another current thread). The men may also have provided some machine gun presence on the River Clyde (collier).

Given that he was, presumably, an RNAS man you may well find that his service record survives. An enquiry to the Fleet Air Arm Museum with as much detail as you have may well result in a full service record. His record is more likely to be there than at Kew.

Martin

His RNAS service register (for his number F1979) at Kew will be in ADM 188/563, but will probably not tell you more than the document you’ve copied, and his medal roll in ADM 171/112. More detailed records are available at the FAA Museum, here are some threads that have dealt with some of the records there. It doesn’t look like he went into the RAF, but if he did and if he wasn’t renumbered before the formation, his RAF register will be in AIR 79/1826.

Details from Lt Cdr B Warlow Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy: 1918-1919 ‘President V’ Armoured Car Sqn 20, Stratford Experimental Station, officers and men lent to Air Force.

Shore 18/2/19 is probably discharge from the Navy, but I think armoured cars were still in use in Russia and were about to be used in the Middle East (Iraq amongst others), so he might have been transferred and that may be on the register, but not if he left the Navy and then signed up with another unit.

Hi Jean Marc

The RNAS Armoured car division was a pretty special unit all the men being specialy picked. Once accepted given the rank of Petty Officer so no one in the Squadron under the rank of sgt.

When he left Gallipoli went to 20 Sqn, which was part of the experimental arm of the landships committee. The unit transfering to the Royal Marines in Dec 1917.

All other sqns transfered to the army.

Regards Charles