Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers 43rd (Garrison) Bn

Chris_Baker

I know before I start that this is a very long shot, but I appeal for help from any student of the Royal Fusiliers.

I believe the 43rd (Garrison) Bn was formed in France in May 1918 (this is in accordance with Brig. E. A. James, and ignores the reference in "Royal Fusiliers in the Great War" which says 25 Sept 1915).

“Soldiers Died in the Great War” shows very few men who died with the Royal Fusiliers, and having six digit numbers. However, every one of them was at the time serving with the 43rd Bn. In fact they all died in November 1918, and it seems not of wounds. I assume the Spanish Flu may have got them.

Their numbers are all 105XXX format. Would it be safe to assume that a man numbered 106825, who was posted to the RF from the Labour Corps, would have joined the 43rd too? Unfortunately his medal roll listing does not mention the battalion of the RF so I am trying to figure it out.

And, Ivor or any other Labour Corps students out there, his LC number was 398900. Does that give you any clues as to his LC posting?

Chris

Just out of interest, one of the local men I'm researching, Valentine Glasspool, comes into this category. His sequence of numbers was GS/54990 Royal Fusiliers, 419045 Labour Corps, and then G/101553 43rd [Garrison] Battalion, Royal Fusiliers. He died of pneumonia following on from 'flu on 31/10/18. I was at Pont de Nieppe Cemetery earlier this year, and the burial pattern there is testament to the effect of the 'flu epidemic. All the stones are well spaced and ordered, until those of the two weeks from October 27th - November 11th, which are crammed so tight it would be impossible to floss between them!

Regards - Sue

Some more info Chris

I have the VM of Robert Arthur Allaway. His career goes like this (from the medal roll)

GS-24139 Royal Fusiliers 7&10 Bn

408721 Labour Corps 880 Coy

GS-103652 Royal Fusiliers 43 Bn

All adjacent names on the roll were from the LC 880 Coy then RF 43rd Bn. He survived.

Michael

I can't shed light on the Army Nos question, but I am sure that Ivor can. What I can say is that 43 RF was formed from Labour Corps Area Employment Companies and was responsible for proving guards for the five Ary HQs in France. To this end, the BN had eleven detached companies.

Labour Corps personnel also formed 44 RF in September 1918. Its role was air defence of vulernable points, like HQs

and it was armed with Lewis Guns on anti-aircraft mountings.

Charles M

Chris

You have raised an interesting one as far as I am concerned!

The Labour Corps number 398900 suggests he was in either 790 or 791 Company. Two Companies that we know little about and nothing for the time when 43 Bn RF was formed!

I do know that No 3 Coy 43 Bn RF was formed from 917 Company and No 4 Coy from 917 Company

From what Michael and Sue have added I wonder whether 926 and 880 formed the other two RF Companies?

I cannot seem to find anything relevant to the RF on these two Companies but will keep checking

There is a war diary for this battalion. It is really boring! It really only mentions the comings and goings of drafts, men on leave, etc. However it does mention men being transferred to and from the LC.

Here are a few of the more interesting entries:

"1 Sep 18: Alteration in designation of Company. No 906 Area Employment Garrison Guard Company now named No 41 Garrison Company RF"

25 Oct 18: 20 men transferred to 898 Area Employment Company"

26 Oct 18: 20 men transferred to 897 Area Employment Company"