Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Picture of Pte Priest

Raster Scanning

This picture of a 34th Division man is simply entitled Pte Priest.

From the info provided in the picture is it possible to identify him? I am not even certain about the unit as the badge is not very clear.

And what is the medal ribbon?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

post-76-1118481218.jpg

post-76-1118481574.jpg

Thanks Bernard but I am pretty sure it is 34th Division (3 black 3 white squares per row) The patch for 14th Corps had 2 black 2 white squares per row.

Cheers

No problem Bernard.

I am thinking Suffolk Rgt but the medal has me stumped.

John.

Hi John,

Sorry, I am no help with the medal, but I agree with you about the Suffolk cap badge. Don't know a whole lot about them, but out of all possibles for the 34th Division they are the most likely going by the outline shape of the badge.

Still, this gives you a pretty good chance of finding out 1). if your correct about the Suffolks and 2). (if you are correct) who the man actually is.

As I'm sure you'll already know, if this soldier remained a private then that limits the possibles to six men in the Suffolks. It's then a case of looking at the medal rolls to find if any served with the 11th (Cambridgeshire) Battalion. If none did, you can rule out the Suffolks, however, if one did then he's your man. If more than one......

At least you know he can only have been with one specific battalion to be in the 34th Div., this is a great help.

I'm quite sure that this is stuff you're already aware of, but I just thought I'd throw my hat into the ring with the Suffolks badge. Best of luck and let us know if there is a Pte. Priest, 11th Suffolk Regiment.

Cheers,

Stuart

hiya john,i am curious about it being a suffolk badge,what are the indentures at the bottom and right hand side of the badge,i thought the suffolks badge was a virtually circular laurel leaf that was only interupted by the crown,i am still going for the tyneside scottish,hes not a rookie either,hes seen at least a year and a day overseas,he has two overseas stripes on his right arm,the only ribbon that i can make a match with is the war medal,he would be wearing this first if he wasnt entitled to a star,that would make the pic at least 1919,bernard

ps,priest is a name predominant around northumberland way

I agree - Suffolks. The indentations at the bottom are caused by the Suffol scroll. Coming from Cambridge, I remember Priest as a name with a few adherents in Cambridge, so I'd go for 11th Suffolks, too.

I have hopefully added a pic of the Suffolk's cap badge. I agree with Steven, I think the outline fits that seen on the photo.

Stuart

post-6340-1118588513.jpg

Thanks PPCLI, Bernard and Steven, Bernard thanks for pointing out the 2 chevrons on his sleeve I had missed them. I had always thought the picture pre dated 1918, but obviously not!

Cheers.

John.

The badge is Suffolks, and the flash 34th Division, as stated above; the medal ribbon is the British War Medal.

Thanks Paul.

I will do some downloading of MRI cards and hopefully be able to identify which Pte Priest this is.

Cheers