Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Julie Renshaws Place

Fraser Thomson

Hi again, just posting a topic to clear my misunderstanding up. I've heard Julie Renshaws name/place come up a few times, and wondering where the location is, and does she mind if we drive on up and camp out under the stars this June/July?

I'm of the belief that she runs a farm, and is gracious enough to let some Pals rest on her property? How much money does she accept?

Any help is very appreciated.

Fraser.

Fraser

Julie and Michael Renshaw have a place called Les Galets (the pebbles) on the road between Auchonvillers and Beaumont Hamel, it is a dwelling house with guest rooms (4 ?) not a farm. It is situated almost in the shadow of Hawthorn Crater and opposite Sunken Land and what was White City, it's hard to imagine a more evocative situation.

I stayed here bb& em for a couple of nights in April and it is very pleasant and comfortable. I have also camped in the field and there are rudimentary facilities for camping (rustic shower and toilet but OK).

I would not recommend just turning up especially in June/July - give her a call 0033 322 762 879. Julie's guests tend to be (almost entirely I would imagine) visiting the battlefields so you will be amongst like-minded folks. Julie is highly knowledgable and Michael is an author of such Battleground Europe books as Mametz Wood and Redan Ridge.

Recommended.

Regards

Andy Johnson

I NEVER stay anywhere else on the Somme. Julie never advertises, she does not need to. Most guests are returnees. One eats with the family.

But don't just 'turn-up'.

And don't book so I can't get in!!!!

Julie's place is superb; I would recommend it thrice over - friendly welcome, excellent food, comfortable beds, en-suite facilties, easy parking, quiet and all within a short walk of a number of historic sites (and sights).

I endorse all of the above :D

Julie is a cracker.

Yup - I have stayed there both as a house-guest and as a camper. Great spot for early-morning or late-evening walks, close to some of the most atmospheric Somme places.

I remember seeing an early advert (I think it was in "Armourer" magazine) stating that "casual campers" were welcome, so I made sure not to turn up too smartly dressed.

Tom

:) Agree with all that has been said. Les Galet is a perfect place to stay but do phone before you go as Julie can be very busy even with camping guests.

If she accepts Derek Robertson she will accept anyone! even me!!!!!!

me and my little tent will be there again from 30th june to 7th july so come over and have a drink or two!

Mandy