Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My First V.C.

Boreenatra

The article states he was 91 when he died but the stone says 88!! Wonder which one is right?

Phil. Thanks for the link. The stone does say " buried in this churchyard" The churchyard is a big rambling affair with lots of stuff lurking in the undergrowth, lots of private WW1 memorials and the only other WW 1 CWGC stone is hidden under a huge hedge.It's T.G.( Thomas George) Bird. 8986 Pte. West Yorkshire Regiment 27 /5 / 1915. Again why a man in the West Yorks should be hiding under a hedge in leafy Essex is another story. Also found this in Barkingside on my travels today. I think the stone says it all. Thanks again Regards Steve.

hiya steve,thomas,george bird was born in essex[dagenham],him and his big family lived at hanwell,his parents lived at 83 green lane,hanwell.he lost at least one brother in the war,edwin bird Y+L regt,killed in 1914,bernard

Thanks Bernard. Any info on Shrubshall (pic above) Also I didn't know if you wanted WW2 Manchesters but found this one in Barkingside. Regards Steve.

steve,all i an tell you,apart from his cwgc records is,that he was born in the channel isles,guersey,he and his sister elizabeth once worked as servants in a big house in maidstone,his elder brother was a soldier in the HLI pre war,he had another bros/sister called eveleigh???i think he had a few kinfolk living in the kent area,dont know how he got to essex,sorry his bros was called david 2nd batt HLI,thats all i could find sorry,thanks for the pic,any mancs are great,bernard.

ps,whoever buried him must have been kin or great friend,there may be a record of him in the town

Thanks Bern for the info. I'll keep an eye out for the Mancs on my travels. Any others to look out for? Regards Steve.

Thanks for posting Edwards.

You cant get a better 1st VC than a Black Watch one :D

Fred