Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancs Fusiliers

harribobs

I am attempting to help a friend looking into his GF's service history, we have ascertained he's a Lancs Fusilier, probably new army

My question is aimed at you LF's experts out there, does the service number 8725 tell you anything? is there any reference books that might give any more information? (I have his MIC)

thanks

chris

Chris

Suggest you give wosisname at the LF's museum a buzz. Didnt he identify Jim (mcfc) relative's unit form the number?

John

does the service number 8725 tell you anything?

Hi Chris.

At first glance, this number looks to me to be either a pre-war regular or a pre-1917 Territorial number.

Dave.

Hi Chris.

At first glance, this number looks to me to be either a pre-war regular or a pre-1917 Territorial number.

Dave.

that surprises me, but may well prove useful

ta Dave

Suggest you give wosisname at the LF's museum a buzz.

do you mean doodah or what'shisname?

:D

sorry chris,i pm instead of adding to the topic,i need to grow a brain :blink:daves right about regulars,some of the 8000 batch are regs,theres a couple of TA but most of those i found were 11th batt stretching across to the 10th and 12th batts,so i think he was in the 20th :lol::lol::lol:

:)

thanks everyone

i shall pass this info on ( with doodah's number) and let him get on with it! :lol:

some of the 8000 batch are regs,theres a couple of TA but most of those i found were 11th batt stretching across to the 10th and 12th batts,so i think he was in the 20th :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I know exactly what you mean! Ever attempted to decide a battalion off a Manchester Regt. number (apart from the obvious few)? - Impossible!!!!

Dave.

I know exactly what you mean!  Ever attempted to decide a battalion off a Manchester Regt. number (apart from the obvious few)? - Impossible!!!!

Dave.

I've just had a look at the LF museum site and they do enquiries at £15 a go, seems like a good deal!

LF museum site

dave,your bang on,i have found men in the m/c pals and their names in the 1914-15 medal rolls and in the roll of honour for that batt,and they were killed with a non pals unit,bernard

Hello Chris.

Not LF related,but my Great-grandad(MGC),confused me no end with his first army number which was 6515.

I knew he wasn't a regular when i first started looking at what he did during the war,so i was surprised when i found this out.

With the help of The Wardrobe,i found out his first enlistment was with the 3/4th Royal Berks,sometime during 1916.

I often wondered wether he would have kept this number if he had gone to a Berks battalion.

All the best.

Simon.

chris,whats the mans name,i have checked the gallantry awards and the roll of honour and there doesnt seem to be a pattern of numbers issued to the 11th batt,i have numbers ranging from 344 cpl a,f routh right through to six digit numbers,there are men with 1000 right through to 9000,it looks to me like the 11th was a composite batt of men taken from other LF batts,regs+TA,they were formed at codford near salisbury,a RSM in the 1st batt had the number 8754 which is close to your mans number,bernard

Hello Chris.

Not LF related,but my Great-grandad(MGC),confused me no end with his first army number which was 6515.

I knew he wasn't a regular when i first started looking at what he did during the war,so i was surprised when i found this out.

With the help of The Wardrobe,i found out his first enlistment was with the 3/4th Royal Berks,sometime during 1916.

it's certainly not easy by any means Simon

chris,it might turn out a better deal on here,

true, but i think the relatives should be involved, i am loath to take over a family investigation

chris,whats the mans name,

it's Albert Walsh, Bernard.

thanks all!! :)