Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres and the disabled

Patrick H

I am planning in September to take my mother aged 72 and her friend 74 to Ypres particularly for the friend to visit the grave of her grandfather W Chadwick 2nd Batt Essex Regt. No-one from the family has ever seen the grave !

Both ladies are disabled and have walking difficulties

My questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel in Ypres which has at least 2 ground floor bedrooms with easy access for a car

2. Does anyone know where I can hire 2 wheelchairs in Ypres to save carrying them across (the wheelchairs not the ladies!)

Your help please

Patrick

Patrick

I can't help with specific info but you may find this web site useful.

http://www.ieper.be/eng/

I do know that neither Old Tom nor The Shell Hole are suitable. Also I suggest you contact forum member Jacky Plaateeuw about getting wheelchairs positioned at the Menin Gate for the Last Post Ceremony.

Garth

My favourite hotel in the area, the Kasteelhof t'Hooge, on the Menin Road has good disabled access, is very reasonably priced and is pretty much groundfloor based.

Dave.

Patrick

Pretty much I recommend the Ariane for all situations. Super place.

For your specifics, whilst they do not have ground floor rooms, they do have a lift. It's certainly big enough for a wheelchair and pushing person.

And they are very used to having elderly guests, I would imagine. After all, Paul G stays there. :D

John

I'd go for the Ariane. But I'm not sure about the provision of baths vs showers and whether that is relevant to your companions' needs.

Patrick, as a general comment, when I took my mother (who is disabled) to the French Alps for a special birthday trip, I got a lot of helpful advice from talking to Radar. I also talked to my local providers of disability equipment for advice on portable items such as folding bath seats.

Tom Morgan also asked about the problems of disability on the battlefields in a thread a while ago, here.

Gwyn

Thanks Guys,

the arrienne it is then, not a place i have ever stayed as i usually stay at the Shell Hole or Old Toms. I have considered the new Novotel but I havnt checked their prices yet, although i have used Novotel in several countries and they always please. I was in Paris Friday night staying at the Ibis for 59euro and novotel was part of same building (and same hotel chain) charging 230 euro !!

Dragon- What is Radar , I have never heard of this?

As for wheelchairs whilst I appreciate Jackie may provide them for the Menin Gate im not sure he would let me have them for the whole trip. However no harm in asking.

For ease of access I am proposing an itineray of

Essex Farm (for obvious Essex connections and John Macrae

Tyne Cott (not to be missed but pushing chairs uphill ??)

Polygon (once i remember where it is

Messines Ridge (for Peace Tower and near cemetery for W Chadwick)

Flanders Field Museum (for ease of access)

Not sure about old grumpys place at Sanctuary Wood.

Any other suggestions would be welcome, but remember I'm pushing the b.l.o.o.d.y things (chairs not the ladies !!)

Thanks

Patrick

The Novotel in Ypres is also fully compliant re disable access and the rooms are much bigger than the Ariane, so better access for the wheelchairs and getting in and out of them.

I am also not sure you can hire wheelchairs; you certainly cannot in France (speaking from experience), and I suspect it is the same in Belgium.

Re IFF Museum. They do have a lift, but I have found it sometimes breaks down. In that case you have to go to the exit and use a stair-lift that is in place there.

The new Talbot House museum at Poperinghe is also good for disabled access and has a lift to all floors of the museum.

Near Ieper, the Oude Abdige (Old Abbey) at Lo (on the road to the coast) may not be able to offer ground floor, but does have a lift. very quiet and good parking, but take some insect repellant, as they have fierce mosquitoes there in my experience from the pond outside.

Hello,

For more information on access for disabled people in the hotels Patrick, check the following website www.westhoek.be

You can hire a wheelchair in Ieper at the "Thuiszorgwinkel" in the Industrial area....

The price is €26,00 for 1 day to 1 month, and it would be better to make a reservation on the following telephonenumber: 0032 57 221 060

Kind Regards,

Donna :)

Your best bet is the Ariane Hotel which is modern, they have a web site, speak English etc.

Even a better bet: Varlet Farm also has a website, owner speaks English very well and you'll have a more personal approach as the Ypres hotels. Apart from that a very good knowledge about the Great War and in the midst if the battlefield.

www.varletfarm.com

Erwin

Hi Patrick

RADAR is a campaigning and advisory disability body in the UK.

http://www.radar.org.uk

Er..... how are you going to manage to push two wheelchairs at once?

Gwyn

Patrick, if you can get the two rooms at Varlet Farm for the dates you want, then I'm sure that your two ladies would find the accommodation absolutely delightful. You won't get a more friendly hostess than Charlotte - or a more helpful one.

Last year I was planning a tour for a gentleman whose problems are such that he needs a trained carer to help get him ready for bed and to help him get up in the morning, and he needs a special crane to get him in and out of bed. I wanted him to stay at Varlet Farm. Charlotte never blinked an eyelid when asked to provide the carer and the crane! As it turned out, the gentleman was forced to cancel his visit on medical advice, but Charlotte would have been able to meet his needs.

Tom

Certainly contact Charlotte at Varlet Farm..

She has suitable rooms and I believe she can also provide wheelchairs.

Thanks all for the info, very helpful.

Gwyn, i'm not, the friends grandson is coming with us. He is 18 and has played his bugle at The Last Post Ceremony and is keen to see his g-gfathers grave !

Patrick