Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bantams

Andrew Hesketh

(Were Officers also 'short'? - the post sub-title is not meant to give offence to non-tall people, I just couldn't squeeze the question in without cutting corners!)

Bantam's were, I believe, in the 5' - 5' 3" category. Would this also apply to their officers?

I ask in relation to a 2nd Lt. Reynolds of the 15th Sherwood Foresters who went out with the 15th and died near Trones Wood. I could not discover his service records when last at the NA a couple of years ago, nor those of his twin brother who served with the 6th South Lancashire's in Mesopotamia (kia at Sannaiyat), so I've got nothing to go on here.

Interesting. I wrote the history of the 15th "Blast of War". No evidence one way or the other for officers: photos suggest that they came in all sizes.

By contrast to the Guards, where ONLY officers could be below the height minimum, disguised by built-up bearskins and cunning tailoring.

Captain Short-Grumpy

I assumed that might be the case generally, especially as replacements were required, but I wondered if the original cadre of officers were required to be bantams as well.

I have a copy of your book by the way - excellent too I might add. I don't suppose (he added cheekily) you ever came across 2nd Lt. Frank Leslie Reynolds, killed 20 July 1916?

Indeed.

Would you like the few details I have? I have been in communication with a descendant but this has added little, apart from the photograph below.

post-150-1118427482.jpg

Interesting.  I wrote the history of the 15th "Blast of War".  No evidence one way or the other for officers: photos suggest that they came in all sizes.

By contrast to the Guards, where ONLY officers could be below the height minimum, disguised by built-up bearskins and cunning tailoring.

Captain Short-Grumpy

well i,ll be blowed,i didnt know the true ID of langley baston because i have only been on a few weeks,mr L,i was after a copy of your book but just missed out on it,ray sold the last copy just before i phoned him,ime hoping tom morgan who is now the gaffer,will get some copies in,i wont miss a 2nd time,bernard