Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Arras? Take care ...

Hedley Malloch

There was a spectacular accident yesterday at St. Laurent Blagny, near Arras when a TGV ran into a lorry carrying gas cylinders stalled on level crossing. You can see the results at http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/home.shtml.

Miraculously no-one was killed or seriously injured.

Spectacular photo! (The article reminded me how much French I have forgotten since doing my GCSE!!)

Goodness, gracious, great ball(s) of fire!

I hope this isn't a regular occurence in Arras - I'm there next week :o

Amazing that no one was killed. Thank goodness.

Stuart

Stuart,

If you are going to the Arras Memorial ,assuming you get into the Town,are able to find the place(Was not an easy place to find when I visited-I still have nightmares about directing my Wife the wrong way up one-way streets past mystified Gendarmes! :D ) and you have the time.Please say hello to My Uncle,Sjt G.S.Souness,Royal Scots ,he is commemorated by name on the Panels.Don't need photos, etc.

Ta

George

Hi George,

Yes, I am intending to go to the Memorial (if I can find it!). I will be very happy to say hello to George for you. I have a couple of other men to say hi to - I don't know if anyone else will ever have come over to visit them.

I'm looking forward to my trip, but now have a very heavy schedule. I have tried to balance visiting all the men on my village memorial that are buried/commemorated in the area and doing photo requests from Pals, with having enough time to spend looking around the cemeteries. I don't want to end up pushed for time, just running in and out of cemeteries taking photos - the men deserve more than that.

We are staying in Arras for a couple of nights. Did you eat out, go to bars? Do you have any recommendations?

All the best,

Stuart

Stuart,

To be honest no, can't help with bars,etc.

We were staying outside Rheims so it was a day trip to Sailly-sur-la-Lys,near Armentieres (where John is buried),Vimy(so the kids could see a Battlefield), Arras to visit George,then back to Rheims.

On reflection "we bit off a bit more than we could chew" but you learn from the experience.

George

Try a terrific inexpensive Turkish restaurant a block from Railroad station, named Istanbul I think. All the fancy ones on Grand Place are great.

Try a terrific inexpensive Turkish restaurant a block from Railroad station, named Istanbul I think. All the fancy ones on Grand Place are great.

Thank you Paul. The Turkish one sounds a bit different, probably worth a try one night and a fancy one on Grand Place the other evening.

Cheers,

Stuart

Can I have map of the area showing all the level crossings so that I can avoid them no matter how devious the route?

I am astounded they have LEVEL CROSSINGS! on the TGV line. Those things go so fast you wouldn't have an earthly if you stalled on a crossing.

Aye

Malcolm

Reading this again, it wasn't a TGV but a TER (Train Express Regional), which is a local train. This one runs from Lille to Rouen and passes through Albert; it is a train I use a lot. Quite scary!

Guest Simon Bull
avoid Citadel with WW II execution post: renowned for thieving.  don't ask.

By thieving do you mean thieving from cars or robberies from the person?

Perhaps I have been lucky, but I have been there several times without a problem.

Ironic that there should be a problem right by a French army barracks!