Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Roll of the Great War

spingo

I have just uncovered 'Section XI' of the National Roll, which covers the Manchester central area, published by The National Publishing Company, York Place, London. The book itself is in very bad condition, no cover or contents page, and very foxed. I would appreciate information on the coverage of in this publication. Are they any other sections for the Manchester area?

Spingo

Hi Spingo, do a search for National Rolls in all forums on the site and you will find all the info you need.

Cheers

Bob

Spingo

There's one for Manchester & another for Salford.

The Manchester one is certainly available on CD (from Archive CD Books)

John

Spingo

There's one for Manchester & another for Salford.

The Manchester one is certainly available on CD (from Archive CD Books)

John

and is back available on line (after i bought the CD <_< )

spinning the web

And I am "peed off" as I shelled out not an insignificant sum to buy the reprinted set a couple of years ago. What was the point if someone was going to place it on the web for free? I could have spent my money on medals. But I suppose that I have all the volumes and the index - the last of which is very useful.

Thanks to all forum members for your replies. Flicking through the book, it seems funny that the coverage does not include parts of South Manchester (Burnage, Chorlton, Didsbury, the Heatons, Fallowfield), quite a large population at the time in these districts, wonder if they would have come under the Cheshire area? Also nothing for East Manchester (Reddish, Denton). I have been told that a charge was made for the inclusion of a veteran in the publication--can anyone corroberate this?

Spingo