Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Original grave location - Any idea's

Drummy

Hi, On the 29 Aug 1916 Pte Herbert Birtles of the 21st Bn Manchester's was KIA, I believe in the area of Longueval trenches, Somme. At some point after the war (CWGC can't elaborate on exactly when) his body, along with that of an unknown british soldier were found at map ref 57c S.24. b.65.95. As Herbert was listed on the Thiepval memorial the discovery must have taken place some time after it erected, probably in the 1930's. Herbert and his unknown comrade now lie in a joint grave at Serre No 2. I am wondering if there are any members that may be able to identify & pinpoint the exact location of where the remains were found so that a visit may be made to the area, is the location near to any landmark or feature?

Hope someone can help, best wishes Neil.

Neil - this is very close to Waterlot Farm (the Sugar Refinery).

As you exit the south east of Longueval you come to the junction where you turn left for Delville Wood, - stay on the road to Guillemont, and from that junction walk 900 yards towards Guillemont - stop, and from the road edge walk at 90 degrees to the road towards Gunchy (probably smack into that big barn, but nevermind, that's the direction!) - about 140 yards from the road - you are standing on the spot.

regards - Tom

........ and if you cant find Gunchy, settle for Ginchy !

(oops :D )

Tom

Tom,

Many thanks for the excellent reply you have put, with these directions I am hoping that myself and my girlfriend (Herberts Great Grandaughter) can visit this spot which was either where he was killed or a battlefield grave.Once again much appreciated all the best Neil.