Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Copyright

mac

My name is Mac and I am a Volunteer researcher for my Regimental Museum (RGBW at Salisbury) I am in the process of putting together a photographic history of the former Regiments (Royal Berks and Wiltshire Regiments). In order to make to books more interesting I am trying to turn each image into a story. I was intending for a few of the Victorian ones to use a few lines from Kipling to illustrate in words far better than I can utter to bring the picture to life. That was until today when someone put a spanner in the works and told me I would not be allowed to use any of his words because of copy right and that I must get permission.

Can anyone assist with this dilema. The Exercise I am involved in is for the Museum (a Registered Charity) and I make not a jot (Apart from the pleasure in doing it).

My gut feeling this is not quite right but I don't want to crack on regardless and get the Curator loccked up !!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

MAC

Mac

Provided you are not quoting complete poems and keep the quotes to 250 words or less you should have no problem. I have just been looking at Brian Gardner's Up the Line to Death: The War Poets 1914-1918 and selected and arranged by Brian Gardner (Methuen, 1964). A number of Kipling poems are included, but I can see no mention of Kipling among the numerous acknowledgements, an indication that no copyright holder could be traced. In any event, copyright in this country does not extend above 75 years and so you are fairly safe.

My advice therefore is to go ahead and ignore the doubters.

And Good luck with your very interesting project.

Charles M

hiya mac,there is no copyright on books where the author has been dead for 70 years,kipling has,but you have to be careful about when the works were published,he may have had stuff published after his death by someone else,after 70 years its ok,the only way you cant use it,is if someone has taken one of kiplings books and added their own bits,then it becomes a new work under a live author,there are authors on here who will be able to help you better,but if you ask permission i dont see any problems,bernard

Charles and Bernard

Many thanks for your very fast responses I do appreciate it, and you have now cleared the minefield for me to advance.

Cheers Chaps

MAC

Mac

Before proceeding do a quick search on copyright and/or reproduction rights using the forum search facility. You will find that there are a whole range of views ,some from professionals who deal with this on a daily basis, and things are not always as clear cut as you may imagine.

Andy

Yes you no longer have to pay loads of money to the National trust.

If you use just the poems and re type the words you are fine

John

Copyright information

This site will tell you more about copyright than is healthy to know. :D

zoo

Many thanks for all that chaps, I have gone to the site suggested and 70 years in general terms seems to be the cut off point, I don't think Mr Kipling will mind me using his woeds to bring alive the men of Tofrek and Maiwand.

Cheers

MAC

Many thanks for all that chaps, I have gone to the site suggested and 70 years in general terms seems to be the cut off point, I don't think Mr Kipling will mind me using his woeds to bring alive the men of Tofrek and Maiwand.

Cheers

MAC

Go to your front young man and draw consolation that all these gallant chaps

who have given you such good advice will visit you on open days at Dorchester

or Slade prison.

Yours respectfully,

Fulton Mackay

Mac

Are the books that you are producing for general sale? if so I would tread very carefully indeed. As I said earlier copyright and reproduction rights are two completely different things. In your case Kipling may not own the copyright anymore (due to the supposed 70 years rule) but someone may well own the reproduction rights.

More importantly the same goes for the photos. Just because you (or the museum in this case) own a copy of the photograph does not necessarily mean that they have reproduction rights.

Please don't rely on us amateurs on the forum for guidance, please take professional advice on this matter because regardless of what your intentions are you could lumber the museum with a large legal bill.

Andy

Exceedingly good ones too.

hiya mac,there is no copyright on books where the author has been dead for 70 years,

Not quite true, as the author isn't always the copyright holder and if it is a company, then they might very well still be "alive" and kicking.

Then, of course, there is material which is Crown copyright and photographs where the originals are in private hands, picture archives, or museums such as the IWM.

I would be surprised if your curator was unable to shed light on this topic, or point you towards the museum's advisor ont he matter.