Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th btn The Buffs - War diary & SDGW lookup please

macfarro

I am looking for any info concerning

Albert Edward Hawkins

7th Battallion East kent Regiment (The Buffs)

No. TF/204075

Died 30/9/17

Buried Dozinghem Cemetary

Born in Gravesend around 1898 - son of Rupert Henry and Unity Mary Hawkins.

Would be keen to find out when/where enlisted and also what the 7th Battalion were doing around the time of his death.

many thanks

Rob

I am looking for any info concerning

Albert Edward Hawkins

7th Battallion East kent Regiment (The Buffs)

No. TF/204075

Died 30/9/17

Buried Dozinghem Cemetary

Born in Gravesend around 1898 - son of Rupert Henry and Unity Mary Hawkins.

Would be keen to find out when/where enlisted and also what the 7th Battalion were doing around the time of his death.

many thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

Albert is commemorated on the Gravesend War Memorial in Clarance Place and the original Town Hall Memorial in the High Street.

Can I ask what your interest is in this man? I live in Gravesend and have been researching the men listed on the memorials for a few years now.

Regards

Andrew

You can actually download the 7th Buffs war diary at the NA site Documents-online.

You can click Here for the pages relating to September 1917. You will have to pay £3.50 to do it, but it is cheaper than a trip to Kew.

Rob

On 29th September the Battalion were bombed in their camp (at St Jan Ter Biezen)by a german aircraft which dropped 6 bombs into the crowded tents and huts. 27 men were killed and 66 were injured. It appears that all those killed were buried at Nine Elms but there are nine other 7th Bn men in Dozinghem who died between 29-9-1917 and 3-10-1917.

Surname Rank Forename

BAILEY Private ERNEST EDWARD

COGGER Private H

HAWKINS Private ALBERT EDWARD

HEUNER Private CECIL AUBREY

LAMB Lance Corporal HUBERT CHARLES

LAMB Private M

LANGLEY Private A V

MAYNARD Private W

PETCHEY Private WILLIAM HENRY

SEPPINGS Private HORACE SAMUEL

The Lambs are not related by the way.

I wonder if Hawkins and many of the others in Dozinghem were mortally wounded in the incident.

Mick

Edited by Michael

many thanks to you all for your help - my next port of call will be the local papers to see if their archives will yield any further info.

Will let you know if anything else comes up.

regards

Rob

And here is the write up that goes with it

From the Gravesend Reporter 20th October 1917 p.5

Mr and Mrs R.H. Hawkins of 1a Gordon Place. Gravesend have received notification of the death of their second son Pte. Edward Albert Hawkins (Bert) who died of wounds in France on September 30th. Pte Hawkins was 19 years of age and was an old boy of the Holy Trinity School. Before joining the East Kent Regt. (The Buffs) about six months ago he was employed for about two years on Mr William Watkins tugs "Nesta" and "Simla". He had been at the front about six weeks when he was wounded in both legs. The chaplain wrote that everything that care and skill could do was done for him by the doctors and sisters, and they assured him (the chaplain) that deceased was too ill to feel pain. The matron of the hospital writes offering her sincere sympathy to Mrs Hawkins, and speaks of the patience and fortitude which her son bore his wounds. He asked her to send his love and tell them not to worry. He was buried in the cemetery near the hospital with full military honours and his name was inscribed on the cross which was erected over his grave.

Regards

Andrew