Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peronne & Ypres

squirrel

I am going to be in France and Belgium 18th to 22nd June staying in Peronne for two nights and then Iper for two nights.

Visiting family graves, two for the first time and having a general look round.

When in Peronne dine at Ramparts Hotel, superb! Ficelle Picardie is one of the great dishes, it's sort of hammy eggy but that falls a bit short.

I am going to be in France and Belgium 18th to 22nd June staying in Peronne for two nights and then Iper for two nights.

Visiting family graves, two for the first time and having a general look round.

Have a good trip and whilst in Ypres suggest a visit to the Ramparts Cemetery at the Lille Gate, the prettiest in Belgium IMHO ! Agree with the suggestion of Paul about the Ficelle Picardie !

Patrick

Staying at the Ramparts Hotel in Peronne and will certainly check out the menu - sounds really memorable! Somme Marsh lamb and the local duck sound good too.

Lille Gate/Ramparts Cemetery in Iper is on the itinerary as I have stayed in Iper before but not managed to see this.

Wiil be looking particularly at Lapugnoy, Delville Wood, Le Trou Aid Post and Belgian Battery Corner Cemeteries as this is where my relatives are. The first two I will be visiting for the first time as I only found out about them earlier this year and have been attempting to research where they were killed and been partially successful.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Ask for a COLVERT beer at the Ramparts to wash down the Ficelle Picarde - it's brewed locally in Peronne and is really superb...!!!!

It's also pretty strong stuff, so no driving afterwards..!!

Have a great time.

Rob.

when your at the Ramparts, nip into the cafe at the gate and have a peek around, he has a small museum out the back, not been it for a while but Seb loves going in everytime we are there.

they do a nice spag bol to go with your beer!

Mandy

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the foregoing suggestions.

Once again didn't manage to see all I wanted to see but some of it was very moving.

Had 2 Australians with us and a very spooky moment; they were there to see their Great Uncles grave at Hooge Cemetery and we started exploring where his battalion started off from in the battle he was killed in. Started exactly where my uncle was killed in 1918 and finished on the edge of Polygon Wood overlooking the site of Poelderhoek Chateau where another uncle of mine was seriously wounded with the NZEF in 1917.

Going to Loos and hope to fit in some of the places I wanted to see in September.