Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geology on the western front

7:29am

Jim

Have a look at the book 'Beneath Flanders Fields'. It contains a lot of information about the geology of the Western Front. Information that was known to the men at the front at the time. One reason why the British army tunnellers were ultimately more successful than their German counterparts was this knowledge of the local geology.

Garth

I don't know what became of this. Peter Doyle is now freelance.

Regards

Simon

The REs did know quite a lot about geology......there is a book, The Work of the Royal Engineers in the European War. Geological Work on the Western Front (this geo book one of a series of RE operations). It has much info on mining, dugouts, obtaining raw materials etc, with many maps. Not easy to find, and out of print for decades, but local library may obtain. Peter

Jim,

You might be interested to know that there is actually a book entitled "Geology of the Western Front, 1914 - 1918", published by the Geologists' Association in 1998 (Association Guide No.61).

I cannot remember where I got my copy (may have been Naval and Military Press) but I bought it as much for the battlefield guiding aspect as well as the geology aspect. I can thoroughly recommend it as one of those little known publications looking at the war from a different angle.

Perhaps the GA have a website where it can be obtained?

Here is a sample page:

post-569-1118647454.jpg

It's that 'thick blanket of Quaternary sediments' that I find interesting - the number of prehistoric sites that must have been cut through is fascinating. We already know of some notables taking axes, flints (German at Serre etc) and the like, but so many more must have tucked things in the snapsack - sometimes it must have been the same as 'collecting' a Luger, others perhaps there was some particular interest.