Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northern Command labour Centre

dorrie

A soldier I am reserchin Edgar Markham transferred from the Sherwood Foresters to the Labour Corps and finally to the Northern Command Labour Centre. can any body shed any light on what the Northern Labour Command Centre was please

Thansk

Dorrie

I suggest that you e-mail Ivor Lee, who is the Forum's Labour expert. Although he has not been active recently because of other commitments, he has a very large database on Labour Corps personnel and would certainly be able to help you if he has the time.

Charles M

There is a chance this was at York as there is a building at York inscribed 'Headquarters Northern Command' (date of building unknown but looks 19th century), not far from Imphal Barracks, which is still in use with the army. I know that in the Second World War York was a huge military area and a large demob place so I would assume it served a similar purpose in the Great War.

SEAN

Northern Command Gas and Grenade School at least, was in Farnley Park just outside Otley in West Yorkshire.

• 2 weeks later...

Dorrie,

I'm the new boy on the block, but in reply to your query the Northern Command Labour Centre was actually at Ripon, Yorks. At the same time I'm not sure as to what it's actual purpose was, but suspect it was probably a 'drafting and dispersal unit' for those Labour Corps units administered by Northern Command. Each Command had it's own dedicated Labour Centre.

Edgar Markham would have been demobilised from there and if he was transferred to the Class 'Z' Reserve, he would have had to report there on re-mobilisation should hostilities have recommenced.

The Labour Corps Records Office was located in Nottingham.

As and added point of interest the Labour Corps on it's formation allocated it's regimental numbers on a block basis and it's from the early issued numbers that you can actually tell which Labour Corps unit a man was serving with. I have lists of all the initial Labour Corps numbers from 1-186240 and the units to whom they were. Sadly I don't have anything higher.

Do hope this is of some use to you.

Regards,

Graham.

Graham

thanks very much fotr the information. I hope you have many happy hours on the web site as I have

Dorrie

• 1 month later...
Guest dennford
Graham

thanks very much fotr the information. I hope you have many happy hours on the web site as I have

Dorrie

My grandfather was also in the forresters and was wounded he endedup at the northern command school of cookery at Dringhouses in York. I shall be putting another post under soldiers if you want to have a look.

Denn