Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CIGS and C in C ?

armourersergeant

May seem a stupid question but then as my wife keeps saying.

Did the CIGS have army seniority over the commander in the field. I realise that he did the bidding of the government (Or not in Robertsons case) but did this give him seniority over Haig in France. If this is the case as i realise it is now with the Chief of the defence staff etc it means that the most senior active General for the greater part of the war and thus the man who stands ultimately responsible, was the one from the lowest social standing in the army.

Could he weald the axe so to speak or could he only do the Cabinets bidding? If he had wished could he have had Haig sent home, I realise he would not have done this as he saw Haig as his greatest allie in the western front battles but it is a question until now i have not really considered.

sorry if this is rambling but i am rushing before i go out, you get the drift though!

Arm.

I think in short the answer is 'Yes' as CIGS (and now CGS) rates as the senior serving professional soldier (leaving out royals etc). CIGS was the channel from the operational commanders to the political chain of command and responsible for transmission of political will and direction outwards. (q.v. The Alanbrooke Diaries)

One gets the impression from Alanbrookes diaries that he was very much the Head Honcho but Haig and Robertsons relationship seems very much one of equals , which is not surprising given the concentration of power and responsibility

in the hands of Haig on the Western Front - arguably no WW2 British commander ever operated at this level.

Having read some of the letters and correspondance sent to Haig from Robetson you do get the impression that he defers to Haig and suggests rather than tells, but from the Allanbrooke diaries you get an impression of it being more of an order to do so not a suggestion.

I wonder if Haig was happy to see Robertson go as CIGS for he felt that he could thus manipulate his superior and have his back covered at the same time. Does anyone know who had the decision and say when they moved round after French as to who went where. Who could have influenced what happened? Was it Kitchener and if so how did he and Haig get on.

Perhaps i am being too Machiavellian.

Arm.