Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Accommodation

Paul Reed

As many people will be planning their visit now, I would also seriously suggest you start to look for accommodation. I already know that some places have been fully booked for more than 5 years. To kick things off there is some local B&Bs and Hotels listed on the Somme Tourism pages of my own website:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/somme.htm

More hotels and French run B&Bs are also found on the Somme Tourist Board site at:

http://www.somme-battlefields.com/en/planning/stay.aspx

I can also tell you that the tour company I run tours for has booked eighteen (18) hotels in the Somme area from Abbeville to Amiens to Assevilliers to Arras, with some in Lille as well. As we are not the only ones doing a Somme anniversary tour, it is likely others will also make bookings, so the quicker you book a hotel the better. Remember to get an acknowledgement for your booking so there is no confusion at a later stage.

I am currently working on a new Somme website which will go live in September-ish. Over the Summer I am going to survey all the local B&Bs and hotels around Albert to see who has what rooms left, and will post the details both on there and here for those who are interested.

I hope this might help some of you who are planning your visits.

Sounds very useful for future visits, Thanks

Patrick

and if all else fails and everything is booked there is a F1 in peronne very cheap and very big.

As a matter of interest it does not appear that you can pre-book F1 hotels more than 100 days in advance as an individual. Can tour companies make block bookings earlier than that?

Given the basic nature of F1 accommodation, and the average clients expectations of a Battlefield Tour, I do not think you will find many tour companies booking this place. I am not even sure if they accept bookings from tour companies. I think you can book a room direct more than 100 days in advance by writing to or faxing the F1 hotel direct.

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a guideline how many people are planning their trips for July 1? And would the accomadations become easier as the campaign proceeds. I am trying to go for the anniv. of the dawn attack and first approach to High Wood and I am concerned that this may also be a very busy time. I know this year will be very different, but what should I expect? Any suggestions?

Jon

Jon - to my knowledge most accommodation in the Somme area is already booked for the 1st July period. This summer (August) I am going to contact all hotels and B&Bs on the Somme and request details of any rooms they have free for this time - and I will be posting it on my new Somme website (Somme Battlefields), with a link to that from this forum.

I suspect it will be a busy time for much of July, but you are more likely to find somewhere around the 14th - but I would book soon!

More expensive than other options, but for a family visit it's worth checking out the offerings of 'French Life'. We'll be using them for a second time this year, renting a cottage near Carnoy. They are very friendly and helpful people on the 'phone too.

Just made my reservations at the Royal Picardie from July 12 through the 16th 2006. It was alittle more expensive then I had thought it would be, but for me it may be a once in a life time experience. I saw that it is now a Best Western so has the service improved. BTW welcome to McWorld where everything is the same no matter what town, state, country or continent you are on. I guess its sort of comforting in a disturbing sort of way.

saw that it is now a Best Western so has the service improved.  way.

I think it's been a BW franchise for a while now - so I imagine there will have been little consequent change.

And, if you've read previous discussions about the place, you'll know some of us have had good service and like it. And some havn't and don't. (Pals - please note my post is NOT intended to start yet another Picardie discussion :) ).

John

• 1 month later...

Clearly I've left searching for a room too late. Its not the first time I think I booked the last room in Caen during last years D-Day events. Is there any news back from the front yet? I'm looking for a room for myself and a pal over the 1st July weekend. Preferably in a town which would give us access to good french food and drink! I would hold out for the F1 but they are invariably in some industrial area thats too far from bars and resturants to stagger home! Any suggestions would be apreciated.

The formule 1 in Assevillers is a convenient distance from the battlefields, in fact you'll be sleeping on one of the French parts. I wouldn't be surprised if it's already booked up, there is another hotel and restaurant next to it which belongs to the Accor chain, more expensive but soooo much nicer than the awful formule one. Failing that it's tent time, the only option left open to me as everything has been booked up.

My nightmare about this is that, having arrived at said booked accommodation next year with 3 tired friends I get:

'Je suis très désolé mais......'

Soft dry ditch anyone?

Martin

I would doubt the F1 is booked, as it seems you cannot book rooms there that far ahead.

Martin - do you have written confirmation of your booking? If not, I would ask for one.

I have a caravan on a touring site 10 miles from St Quentin, 45 minutes drive (at the most) to Delville Wood, and when I mentioned to the gardien of the site that I wished to ensure that that I had a pitch for the 1st July and the reason why she was most surprised. She was not aware of the celebrations planned. Now that I have my pitch I dont mind making the site public if requested.

Regards

Geoff

Martin - do you have written confirmation of your booking? If not, I would ask for one.

Paul

Yes, on emails. The correspondence between us was in French and the dates were very specifically spelt out.

I am probably worrying overmuch but I am a great believer in the works of Sod's Law!!

Martin

We have been trying to book a Formula I without success since June. They haven't replied to letters or phone calls.

Hi Mark - my experience is that you need to Fax the individual F1. I have always had no problems with doing it like this. From memory, the F1 fax numbers are on-line.