Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aussie Cricket team visit Villers-Bretonneux

stiletto_33853

Interesting article in Todays Telegraph Sports about the Australian Cricket team visiting Villers Bretonneux.

"The focus of the day was the mornings visit to the Australian National Memorial, an enormous stone monument a mile or so from the town"

Andy

Most impressed by the Australian cricket teams continuing commitment to visiting these sites. I think they went to Galipoli fairly recently.

It must be a great team building exercise and lift their morale for their matches against us WP's. Let's hope not too successful though.

I saw the piece by the BBC this morning on the visit and I must say that I agree with the sentiments expressed by Ianw.

Carninyj

The article states that four years ago, Steve Waugh announced that his ashes team would stop off on their journey to England in order to visit the Anzac memorials in Gallipoli.

Waugh claimed that he had come up with the idea over dinner with Lt Gen Peter Cosgrove, where the two men discussed the importance of camaraderie, discipline, commitment and the importance of following a plan.

Waugh may be gone now, but his questing spirit remains. And yesterday

Ricky Pontings team extended this fledgling tradition with Australian teams on Ashes tours with a visit to Villers Bretonneux, the small French town that constitutes the other great memorial to Australian sacrifice in the First World War.

Andy

Andy,

Regarding your ref to Waugh’s visit to Gallipoli

The pic below is from the Turkish Daily News of 29th May 2001

At that time Waugh said that Cosgrove first floated the idea which was then backed by Howard and embraced by Waugh and his team. Cosgrove gave them a leadership seminar in Melbourne where he showed them Bean’s photograph of the famous game played at Shell Green just before the evacuation, told them of ‘Cricket Ball’ grenades and then gave them each slouch hats.

In 2001 there was a problem with the timing of games and flights etc so in the end the visit to Gallipoli was complete by the One-Day team only, rather than by the full test and tour group.

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-386-1118153437.jpg

Michael,

Great stuff, many thanks for this. It is a shame that the British team do not take a leaf out of the Aussies book here as the camaraderie and team building seems to work for them.

Andy

Quote: It is a shame that the British team do not take a leaf out of the Aussies book here as the camaraderie and team building seems to work for them.

Andy,

Yes, it does seem to work for them doesn’t it

Even though in the process, some of them sometimes bend history just ever-so-slightly

See the opening words of last year’s Australian War Memorial Anniversary Oration by Les Carlyon 11 November 2004

“Alan Bond, that case-hardened warrior from the corporate wars, was in a little trouble in 1983, and this time it wasn’t financial. The Australian yacht – his yacht, really – was trailing by three races to one in the America’s Cup. Bond still thought victory possible. He made a reference to Gallipoli. Then he spoke the deathless words:

‘We had our backs to the wall there and we won that one.’ :o

[For full text see-http://www.awm.gov.au/events/talks/oration2004.asp]

All good fun though

Regards

Michael D.R.

I'm really impressed at the Ozzie lads, to echo the thoughts of Andy, if only our teams would do the same.

Well done Ozzies,

Tim

Interesting article in Todays Telegraph Sports about the Australian Cricket team visiting Villers Bretonneux.

I've just been reading the story in the Telegraph, very good.

Regards,

Donna :)

Michael,

Interesting you mention Alan Bond, many years ago I did some yacht racing with him over here for the run up to the Admirals Cup, and was in Newport when the Aussies won the America's Cup, now that was one hell of a party too put it mildly. Could swear blind I was suffering from that for a long time afterwards or maybe it was just blind after the alcohol consumed.

Interesting story came out from that party, quite a few ended up in the cells for the night, one yachtsman (Aussie naturally) was led into the cells and saw all the deck shoes outside of the cells, gathered they were all yachtsman and asked to telephone someone. Was allowed to make a phone call and phoned the local Pizza place to order for the occupants of the cells.

Not sure the whole truth of the story but it went down well in the bars at Newport. Quite a character is Alan.

Totally of topic but thought I would share the story.

Andy

I agree. Well played the Aussies. Pic from todays Guardian, of Adam Gilchrist. There was also another pic. of Ricky Ponting laying a wreath. Regards Steve.

Speaking from an Aussie point of view, it must be a humbling experience for our team, who are treated as celebrities in this country, to go to France and see the number of Digger's, much the same age and character as themselves, that gave their lives in WW1 and the way that they are remembered by the people of France.

I hope that they bring back their experiences in France and share them with their younger fans in Oz.

Some cricket fans might like to visit this site for more on France and cricket in general.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200506/s1385965.htm

Kim

They all seemed quite touched to visit Villers Brettoneux and were overwhelmed by the kids at the school in Villers Brettoneux seeking autographs.

The tv news stated that Jason Gillespie had a personal connection as one of his wife's relatives was commemmorated at V-B Memorial.

Most impressed by the Australian cricket teams continuing commitment to visiting these sites. I think they went to Galipoli fairly recently.

It must be a great team building exercise and lift their morale for their matches against us WP's. Let's hope not too successful though.

Ian, your last sentence has an error, this is how it should read "Let's hope not too UNsucessful though".

Robbie :P

Mates,

Purhaps a visit to Natal and the 1879 battlefields for the pommy team next time.

I did hear mention of a muesem in Villers Bretonneux.

Has anyone been to it as I don't remember it there when I stay in the village during my week visit in 1990.

cheers

S.B

Guest Simon Bull
Mates,

Purhaps a visit to Natal and the 1879 battlefields for the pommy team next time.

I did hear mention of a muesem in Villers Bretonneux.

Has anyone been to it as I don't remember it there when I stay in the village during my week visit in 1990.

cheers

S.B

Steve,

I have been to the Museum which commemorates the Australian link with VB. It is not very large, but, in my opinion, interesting and well-organised, if a little clinical.

Its opening hours are limited and/or you have to make an arrangement with the local council to see it.

I would say it is definitely worth a visit if you are in the area and/or (as I do) have a specific interest in the fighting in the VB area, but not worth going to VB specially to see.

Are any members of the Australian team descended from Great war casualties?

dave

Dave

Don't know for sure. I was wondering myself if Adam Gilchrist was any relation to Captain Walter Gilchrist MC of the 6th Field Coy Engineers who was killed at Bullecourt in May 1917. Both originally came from Sydney.

Ricky Ponting found a Ponting commemorated on the Villers Brettoneux Memorial and is going to investigate any family link when he gets back to Australia. It could be likely as this man Charles John Ponting of the 12th Battalion AIF also came from Tasmania.

Regards

Andrew