Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding cemeteries

ChrisN

Hello

this information may have already appeared on this site, so apologies if it has. I was in Ypres last week and came across the sort of book I have been after for a while.

It is a CWGC publication. It uses the Michelin Maps (Yellow ones) as the background and it marks all (maybe not all actually!!) the CWGC cemeteries and Memorials in Northern France and Belgium.

This is ideal for locating the less well known sites off the beaten track.

The index is in alphabetical order and each site is numbered in the map so they are cross referenced in numerical order as well.

I recommend it for all travellers.

ISBN-2-06-710731-3

Regards

Chris

Chris,

Yes, I can recommend it too. I bought mine last year (in the CWGC offices in the Elverdingestraat in Ypres), and I think I remembered I paid 10 euros. But I suppose they can be bought elsewhere as well. Tourist office in the Cloth Hall ?

Aurel

Aurel

I came across the book in a bookshop in Ypres; left hand side walking towards the Menin Gate from the Market Square. I could have browsed for hours, but Mrs. Newman had other ideas...

Chris

Think i might buy one for when i go! Does look pretty good.

chris,

do you get the maps with it too?

i have lost all mine or else the ex gave them away to people who needed help,,

thanks

mandy

Hello Mandy

the book is a small slim item, the pages within are direct copies of the Michelin 1/200 000 tourist maps.

Each cemetery/monument location has an arrow pointing to it and a number attached to the arrow. A check in the index against that number gives the name of the cemetery.

Hope this helps

ChrisN

thanks Chris

mandy

i'll try and look at it when i'm in ypres next (which will be November) unless they have one somewhere on the somme in july

mandy

There are also similar atlasses (entitled "Am Rande der Strassen") produced by the KgV showing the German cemeteries worldwide (the France and Benelux edition also uses the mitchelin maps and shows all the cemeteries of other nationalities too).

The Ministere des Anciens Combattants et Victimes de Guerre also have an "Atlas des Necropoles Nationales" available , showing the French cemeteries.

The above atlasses also give in depth details about each particular cemetery.

Dave.

The CWGC book is an excellent aid but remember that it does not include every cemetery containing Commonwealth war graves. It usually omits communal cemeteries and churchyards with small numbers of burials.

Also, cemeteries close together are sometimes combined in the numbering.