Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigadier General Hubert Gough

Ciaran Byrne

Apparently the commander of 3rd Cavalry Brigadier-General Hubert ‘Goughie’ Gough's father, Uncle and brother had all won VCs during their military careers. Can anybody tell me what they did to win these awards. I am aware that this may not be related to World War One and apologise in advance.

Thanks

Guest Hill 60

Sir Charles John Stanley Gough: 5th Bengal European Cavalry.

Won the VC for various acts of gallantry between in 1857 (Various actions in India).

Sir Hugh Henry Gough: 1st Bengal European Light Horse.

Won the VC 12th Nov 1857 (Alumbagh & Jellalabad). He charged across across a swamp and captured 2 heavily defended guns at the Alumbagh, receiving several sabre cuts. At Jellalabad in 1858, during a successful charge on the enemy's guns was in the thick of the fighting until disabled by a wound to his leg.

Sir John Edmund Gough: The Rifle Brigade.

Won the VC 22nd April 1903 (Daratoleh, Somaliland). Was in charge of a column following the action at Daratoleh, when he returned to help 2 men (Rolland & Walker - both also won the VC) to rescue a wounded officer by getting him onto camel. They came under heavy fire and the officer was hit again and died immediately.

Thanks very much for that Lee, much appreciated.

Just a note to say that I think Hubert Gough rose to make full General as commander of 5th Army.

Elsewhere on this forum the question of a "spat" between Forrestier-Walker and Johnie Gough V.C has been raised and I think "V.C Envy" was a part of it.

Ciaran

Hubert Gough became a well renouned General and a favorite of Haig and became the youngest full general on the western front. Whilst his ability leaves some doubt (he commanded on the Somme and at Passcheandale)he does not in my opinion deserve the flack he takes and when dismissed from command in march 1918 he cetainly did not deserve to go for a retreat he apparently handled very well.

Ian

Is this info about Gough and F-W something you have read or just a surmise. I have read about Goughs VC and it strikes me that whilst brave as commander should he not have stayed at the head of his command, so it is possible that F-W who was on the staff at the time may have voiced this opinion. In Beckets book about J Gough page 181 it apparently makes ref to this spat. Have you read it ?

Arm.

Ps The Goughs must have been one hell of a family i think another relative served in the Paras at Arnheim in 1944.

Arm,

Yes, I have read this book some time ago and it is lodged in my mind that there was some resentment about the V.C. but I cannot recall the detail. As you remarked , a trip to the PRO should shed some light on this.

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

John Gough VC ended up as General Haig's BGGS (Brigadier General, General Staff) in 1914. He was killed in action at Estaires in 1915 (aged 43).