Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Verdun 2006

Paul Reed

Does anyone know of any ceremonies planned at Verdun in February 2006 for the 90th Anniversary?

Or indeed, any other ceremonies that year or special events?

Pascal - thanks, I was going to do that, but wondered if any Forum members with local knowledge had heard of anything?

I've heard a rumour that there will be a big Franco-German ceremony to commemorate the battle and also a conference. I have no details but will see what I can find out. I've not heard anything official.

Pascal - I'd be surprised if the Office de Tourisme could tell you anything at all. In my experience they can tell you nothing at all about such events until a couple of days before, and not then if it's organised by the Peace Centre.

Christina

• 4 weeks later...

Paul,

Just returned from my trip to Verdun. As promised I checked around, and even checked with the local Tourist Office but nobody was able to tell me anything with regard to the 90th. Anniversary of the Battle of Verdun in 2006. I presume that the planning for such an event has not started yet. Local authoriities appears to quite busy at the moment with shaping up the battlefields for the upcoming holiday season and the expected number of visitors. Areas that used to be overgrown with trees for many many years have recently been cleared of all the small trees and bushes to improve access to the area concerned.

Will be going to Verdun again in September. Hopefully someone will know more about this upcoming event by then.

The removal of trees is doing a lot more than improving access, it's destroying trenches etc and likely disturbing bodies....

• 1 month later...

I am also interested in any news about ceremonies for the 90th Anniversary of the Battle of Verdun. I only heard rumors that the reenactors of the Alte Armee (www.altearmee.de) will maybe participate in old uniforms and if so I will also do.

Here you can find new pictures of the Verdun battlefield from July 2005:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=112526

Greatn pictures, there are questions posted about removng some of these things, well 99% of us on forum know this is dangerous! + I promise French will arrest you, I have seen it.

• 1 month later...

Yep, I know. There are about 3-4 dead each year because they try to remove dud shells for their "collection".

I heard that there will be maybe a large historical field camp in Verdun in summer 2006, but I don't have any news about a special event for the 90th anniversary. I will be in Verdun in two weeks again, maybe I get new informations.

Greatn pictures, there are questions posted about removng some of these things, well 99% of us on forum know this is dangerous! + I promise French will arrest you, I have seen it.

• 4 months later...

Paul,

Managed to find on the net the following information with regard to the 90th. Anniversary activities in Verdun:

21 February 2006

Concert by Barbara Hendricks at Verdun Cathedral

Illumination of the Douaumont Ossuary: sound and light show of the Battle of Verdun

International conference at the World Peace Centre. Title: Verdun in the eyes of the world

Exhibition: 90 years of commemoration

28-30 March

Performance of a play entitled “Cris” by Laurent Gaudé at the Verdun theatre

Exhibition entitled “La Grande Guerre en relief”, based on stereoscopic pictures

22 – 25 June

Concert by the Ensemble Musique Oblique at the Verdun synagogue in memory of the Jewish soldiers of Verdun

Peace Day, involving 1916 young people from France and the various countries that were involved in the conflict

Concert by the Paris Choir and Orchester

Performance of “Le Feu” by Henri Barbusse. This will be a one-man show performed in various parts of the Department of the Meuse

There will be a theatrical homage to the colonial troops but I have no details

Plantation of cornflowers on the Voie Sacrée. This flower is the symbol of the “poilu”

“The river of light” – 700,000 candles will be floated on the River Meuse to symbolize the casualties of the battle

25 June

Wreaths laid by the President of France and the German chancellor

24 October

Verdun Cathedral: Brahms’ German requiem

Exhibition relating to stained glass windows in the Department of the Meuse dealing with patriotic themes

General events

Information panels and silhouettes of soldiers and trucks will be placed along the Voie Sacrée

The local newspaper at Verdun, “l’Est Republicain”, also reports that access to the main sites on the battlefield will be free and even that hotels will offer a third night free to their clients (I’ve no further details on this)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jan

http://www.westernfront.nl

http://www.justgiving.com/venice2006