Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Allingham

Cotswold

Happy Birthday Henry Allingham, 109 today!

He is the last survivor of the Battle of Jutland, where he served aboard HMS Kingfisher.

Henry joined the Royal Naval Air Service in 1915. He served as a mechanic in the war, servicing aircraft. He also fought at the Somme and Ypres.

He is believed to be the last surviving founding member of the RAF.

Regards,

Donna :)

Have a good one Henry, you deserve it.

I'll be toasting you tonight.

Rich.

A very happy birthday to Henry.

Andy

109 - fantastic - Happy Birthday Henry.

Patrick

From the BBC:

Britain's oldest man reaches 109

Britain's oldest man has celebrated his 109th birthday, saying his secret for long life is "know your limitations".

Henry Allingham, who lives in Eastbourne in East Sussex, is thought to be one of about only 20 surviving servicemen from World War I.

He served at Ypres and at the Somme and was awarded France's highest military honour in 2003, in addition to various medals awarded by his own country.

On Monday he was presented with a cake by pupils from two local schools.

Mr Allingham's wife died 35 years ago and he has also outlived his two daughters, who both died in their 80s.

Full story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/souther...ies/4613587.stm

Happy Birthday Henry, and many happy returns.

Cheers,

Tim

From the link Angie put up:

But he said: "Like so many, I have tried to forget my time in the war.

"In the last few years I have met other veterans, and we never spoke one word of the war, not one."

Another example of why some of the research we set out to do can be so difficult. I'm sure I'm not alone with the response I got from my father about my grandfather's time in WW1, "I don't know much about it, he wouldn't talk about it". My grandfather only talked about working with the horses and some of the pals he had photos of (names my dad said he once knew, but has now forgotten), nothing about the war itself.

There was no (or very little) counselling for these men, the only way to get over it was to push it all to the dark recesses of the mind. The only part they want to remember is their comrades.

Happy Birthday Henry. And many more of them!

Stuart

Here's to you Harry, all the best.

Roy

Another example of why some of the research we set out to do can be so difficult. I'm sure I'm not alone with the response I got from my father about my grandfather's time in WW1, "I don't know much about it, he wouldn't talk about it". Stuart

Too true Stuart.

Very nice story on the BBC News this evening, I must say Mr Allingham looks remarkable for 109.

Regards,

Donna :)

Another example of why some of the research we set out to do can be so difficult.

It also shows why they are reluctant to release more records of service. I wonder if anyone has shown Harry his RNAS and RAF ones?

Happy Birthday Henry!

Now I’m off to ‘splice the main brace!’

109. wow, I wonder if I will ever make that, anyway happy birthday to Henry Englands oldest man.

My Great Grandfather also never spoke of the war, the only thing he would say to us Grand kids was "eyes nose and docks lad" That was his instructions to us when we were to go to bed and wash up. That was the order used to wash the horses down in the war. "eyes nose and docks"

Best regards Aaron.

• 3 months later...

Just read in today's paper that Henry was honoured in a ceremony yesterday by the Fleet Air Arm Association.

Three cheers for Henry!

Ray

Happy Birthday to a remarkable man

He retired to Eastbourne 40 years ago and celebrated his birthday at a hotel there."I never, in my wildest dreams, thought I'd be here today being so well looked after, but I'm beginning to like it.

Remarkable :)

Cheers Henry

Here's to you Henry.

Roy